ABOUT THE POSITION:
Dignity Health Medical Group is actively seeking a highly experienced leader to serve as Chair, Department of Medicine. The ideal candidate will be at the Professor Level or equivalent with 10+ years of proven clinical excellence in patient care. We are recruiting for a well-rounded and collaborative physician leader with a strong passion for research, teaching, and community outreach. The candidate will be comfortable in initiating and managing relationships with volunteer faculty and alumni, along with developing and maintaining positive relationships with community leaders in the community. This individual will have prior experience in managing growth and the development of a robust residency training program. Finally, participation in prominent National Academic Medical Societies is highly preferred.
The Department Chair will be primarily accountable for the overall success of the Department of Medicine by improving the quality of clinical care, education and scholarship. This individual will also be responsible for collaborating with the Medical Group Administration to strategically plan the future growth and development of the Department, the Healthcare Service Lines within the Department, and the implementation of educational programs. Additionally, this individual will serve as the liaison for quality and cost effective initiatives between the Dignity Health Medical Group and Dignity Health Arizona.
The Department of Medicine includes 67 physicians, 18 advanced practitioners, and 33 residents. Within the department, there are 8 Medical Directors including General Internal Medicine, Hospitalist – Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Endocrinology, Infectious Disease, Hepatology, and Cardiology. These Medical Directors will report directly to the Chair. Additionally, Dignity Health Medical Group has an academic affiliation with Creighton University School of Medicine, whose third & fourth year medical students (84) are currently completing their medical degree at the St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center by the DHMG’s faculty. Included in this position is the opportunity for an academic appointment with Creighton University.
In the Spring of 2021, Creighton University seeks to expand its Phoenix presence, bringing a four-year medical school, nursing school, pharmacy school, occupational/physical therapy schools, physician assistant school, and an emergency medical services program within a mile of the St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center campus. This expansion will ensure that Arizona—and DHMG—are doing their part to contribute to top-notch training of future medical professionals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as senior member of the Dignity Health Medical Group Management Team;
- Works with administration to develop and implement the department budget and operating policies;
- Partners with administration to develop and implement the departmental strategic plan and develop inter-departmental service lines in collaboration with other Department Chairs;
- Fosters a collaborative model of practice to promote the growth and success of the Dignity Health Medical Group as a whole;
- Works with the Providers and the Chief Medical Officer to develop utilization benchmarks and quality metrics for the department; reviews and revises benchmarks on a regular basis based on national metrics;
- Works with the President, COO, and CMO of DHMG to implement appropriate financial incentives for providers;
- Collaborates with the Director of Residency and the Medical Director of CME to develop and implement educational programs within the department;
- Works with the Manager and staff in the development and enhancement of practice guidelines;
- Establishes “coaching” or “mentoring” relationships with their faculty, paying special attention to members who are new or in need of assistance to plan and enhance their professional growth;
- Regularly establishes universal objectives and goals for faculty members and does a yearly evaluation based on those goals;
- Clinically active physician who models the practice of evidence-based family medicine and superior patient experience skills;
- Strives to be a servant leader who exemplifies mission-appropriate excellence and professional growth of the members of the department and promote a culture which supports the mission statement of the Hospital and Medical Group;
- Publishes and promotes publications with the department in order to promote an academic and evidence-based practice;
- Perform such other reasonable duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Hospital President, the Board of Directors, Community Board, or the President, COO or CMO of the Medical Group.
This position reports to the Chief Medical Officer of Dignity Health Medical Group for medical group activities. As a member of the medical staff at St. Joseph’s Hospital, the physician will also collaborate with the Chief Medical Officer of the Hospital for all activities related to medical staff services.
- MD or DO Degree and Board Certification
- Completed ACGME Residency training with current ABMS Board Certification
- Proven physician leadership experience
- Clinical responsibilities within the previous 5 years
- Must have or be eligible for Arizona State medical licensure