Manage intellectual property program for the Company including patent prosecution, trademark management, enforcement of intellectual property rights, intellectual property licensing, and development and execution of intellectual property strategies. Works closely with business unit management to establish and maintain appropriate policies and procedures with respect to the development and protection of the company’s intellectual property assets. This position is also responsible to investigate and research the technical aspects of the defense and prosecution of lawsuits involving the Company, conduct investigations, research engineering, customer service and marketing records and assist the Litigation teams with the assembly, and preparation of written discovery responses.
- Lead development and implementation of strategies, policies, procedures, and practices to appropriately protect Company innovations, brands, data, and other intellectual property assets.
- Chair Company Intellectual Property Review Team to review IP program implementation and effectiveness and determine IP protection actions.
- Work closely with engineering organizations to proactively identify protectable innovations and maintain freedom to practice.
- Critically supervise and manage outside intellectual property counsel to ensure high-quality, cost-effective service.
- Support Supply Chain organization with negotiation of intellectual property terms with suppliers.
- Identify IP monetization opportunities and work with functional areas and Textron Innovations to maximize IP licensing revenue.
- Provide technical litigation support to Textron Aviation Litigation department, including pre-litigation diligence, claims analysis, and related activities.
- Company’s representative on Textron Intellectual Property Council to identify and share IP best practices.
- Develop and deliver training on intellectual property matters for management and functional areas to expand IP understanding and awareness.
- Provide IP support to all attorneys, for their respective functions
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related field required
- Masters Degree in Engineering or Business Administration preferred
- Minimum 5 years Engineering, Litigation, Intellectual Property or relative experience required.
- Technical knowledge of Textron Aviation products and engineering practices sufficient to provide immediate support in obtaining documents for pending litigation.
- Familiarity with product design and failure analysis methods
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property concepts and associated laws, including patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and copyrights
- Experience with Intellectual Property application filings; knowledge of Patent Application submission process; and experience with Patent Invention Disclosures.