Baker Botts, a full-service, leading international law firm recognized for our understanding of the industries we serve, is seeking an experienced IP Legal Secretary. Under general supervision from Office Administrator, the IP Legal Secretary provides full administrative and document processing support to assigned group of attorneys and/or paralegals. This is a full-time, non-exempt position with excellent benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check status of and look up information for U.S. and international patents and apps (e.g., using USPTO PAIR and E2E, WIPO PATENTSCOPE, EPO Espacenet, Questel Orbit, Docket Navigator).
- Prepare charts, graphs, and diagrams using Excel, Powerpoint, and Visio.
- Track and report on status of patent applications marked for monitoring.
- Prepare IDSs (including transmittals and SB/08 forms) for electronic filing at USPTO.
- Perform post-allowance checks on patent applications.
- Prepare and mail signature packages to inventors.
- Reviews and revises monthly proformas; prepares correspondence for each and submits revised proformas and drafts letters to lawyer for approval; submits to accounting department for final invoices; mails/emails specific invoices to clients.
- Reviews available client billing guidelines for invoicing for lawyers; advise billing lawyers and billing department of any special exceptions and changes noted in billing guidelines so the special exceptions may be incorporated on client level and/or matter level.
- Maintains chart of invoices throughout the year in order to follow up on overdue payments, keep track of electronic billing as well as status of submitted invoices.
- Provides confidential administrative support to assignments, performing secretarial tasks of a confidential nature including, but not limited to, composing or preparing documents and correspondence; this may require spending long periods of time at computer workstation.
- Schedules appointments and performs other tasks related to maintaining assignments’ calendars; schedules and coordinates meetings and conferences, including extensive travel, lodging, transportation and meal arrangements.
- Handles in-coming correspondence (including gathering and/or preparing needed materials for lawyer’s review of same in timely fashion), as well as out-going correspondence, including mail, emails to clients, faxes, hand deliveries, etc.
- Drafts, edits and disseminates information through presentations, charts, graphs, diagrams, spreadsheets, letters, email, mail, memos, itineraries, etc.
- Answers telephones and delivers accurate and timely messages.
- Reconciles and submits travel, client development and client expenses for reimbursement through ChromeRiver and reconciles AMEX statements for all assignments.
- Other projects as assigned by the Secretary Services Manager, Partner in Charge and Office Administrator.
- High School Diploma required; some college and/or PLS Certification desirable.
- Minimum of five (5) years work experience in a law firm environment, or related professional experience.
- Knowledge of legal terminology and of court system and rules for filings and correspondence.
- Knowledge of electronic client invoicing.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Strong organizational and records management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and with tact and diplomacy, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information.
- Advanced computer and software application skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including MSWord, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Working knowledge of New Business Intake, LegalKey, Copitrak, InterAction, Intapp Time and Elite software.
- Knowledge of Metastorm and BB Conference Scheduler software.
- Ability to learn and use databases.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to proofread materials for contextual, grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Must have strong organizational, decision-making skills and problem solving skills.
- Must be reliable, a self-starter and have a professional demeanor.
- Moderate physical activity and Must be able to work at a computer for considerable periods of time.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry file folders weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Position requires extensive telephone use.
- Must be able to staple and collate repetitively.
- Must be able to lift, squat, kneel and bend.
Working Condition and Environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- This position is a full-time position requiring a 5-day work week and standard hours as outlined in the firm policy manual. Additional hours will be required when necessary to meet established deadlines or stay current with occasional peaks in workload.
Baker Botts L.L.P. is a Federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer. Baker Botts is subject to Executive Order 11246 and is required to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Baker Botts considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.