IP Secretary - Costa Mesa, CA
One of our top law firms seeks an IP Secretary with at least 3-5+ years experience to join its Costa Mesa office. This non-exempt position performs full secretarial and administrative duties for attorneys and patent agents under minimal supervision. This position requires the individual to perform with a high degree of independent judgment and discretion. Requires a thorough knowledge of organizational procedures and precedents.
- Perform secretarial functions associated with firm administrative tasks, including processing new client/matter requests, client bills, time reports and expense reports.
- Composes correspondence for client-related matters. This includes proofreading and redlining work for accuracy - copy, format, etc.
- Preparation of prosecution filings for review and approval by attorneys/agents (including preparation of IDSs, terminal disclaimers, restriction requirements, shell amendments, etc.)
- Handles filing of all PCT/U.S. applications through PCT Easy/EFS Web and keeping up with changes relating to electronic filing systems.
- Researching status inquiries on PTO website. Downloading documents from PTO databases.
- Preparation and filing of assignment recordation with the USPTO.
- Sending electronic IP Docketing Slip forms for all pertinent items.
- Maintain client contact information, including creating a Client Procedure Sheet for each client (detailing client preferences).
- Is the primary point for filing and file organization (in physical and electronic form). Creating and maintaining file indexes within each file.
- Coordinates meetings and appointments, and properly receives clients/guests, as requested and keeps appointment calendar for attorney.
- Coordinates travel arrangements.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Provides secretarial assistance to summer associates, visiting attorneys and attorneys whose secretaries are absent.
- Performs other related duties as needed or assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least three to five+ years of experience with patent prosecution work and a strong working knowledge of U.S. Patent and/or Trademark rules, processes and procedures.
- The secretary should possess working knowledge of general office procedures, as well as, strong familiarity with legal terminology related to Intellectual Property (IP).
- Must be knowledgeable in the following IP related technologies or similar technologies: PCT Easy, EFS Web, PAIR, Pattsy Wave, PatentHunter, USPTO, WIPO and Espace.net websites.
- Working knowledge and experience with the Firm’s technology and applications strongly preferred (NetDocuments; Chrome River; Time Capture).
- Prior experience with handling expense reports, client bills, multi-line phones and conflict-checking forms, as well as working with Interaction, or another CRM database, is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience supporting more than one attorney is required.
- Advanced word processing/computer skills utilizing a variety of software programs including, but not limited to, MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- The individual must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Strong phone etiquette, attention to detail and follow through skills are required.
- Must be knowledgeable with legal filing and record-keeping practices as relevant to IP.
- Must be highly organized and able to successfully multi-task and meet set deadlines.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to be flexible and work effectively as part of a team is required.
- The legal secretary should possess a high school diploma.
- Two years of college or equivalent preferred but not required.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, salary is flexible.
Prestigious law firm provides great environment and working atmosphere.
To hear more (confidentially of course), please email your resume along with salary expectations.
*Referral fee applies only if and when the candidate referred to us is hired by the firm seeking candidates.
Talent Acquisition Specialist