Founded in 2007, Dark Heart Nursery’s mission is to help growers thrive by pioneering innovative products and services. DHN does this by specializing and leading the industry in cultivating high-quality clones for growers across California. Our years of experience allows us to produce premium clones from both popular and emerging lines that perform well in a variety of settings. DHN continues to expand into additional facilities to bring on more capacity and to lower the cost of production. DHN is also an industry leader in cannabis tissue culture and is further developing the plant biotech side of the business into plant pathology, virus eradication, and breeding. It is an exciting time to joins the team as DHN scales the business to dominate the cannabis nursery and dispensary spaces. In May 2020, DHN will be launching its line of branded flower, using DHN genetics cultivated by our customers.
Our company is seeking an IPM Technician in our Half Moon Bay facility to assist in maintaining a disease and pest free production area. The IPM Technician would be responsible for pest scouting and pesticide application activities in a production environment, collaborating with other IPM Technicians, and reporting to the IPM Manager. Examples of duties fulfilled by this position include but are not limited to:
(1) Daily scouting of the nursery, looking at overall plant health, pest populations and signs of pathogens
(2) Accurately identify and record findings of target pests on a weekly basis
(3) Utilizes equipment such as microscopes, slides, scales, etc.
(4) Accurately weighs, mixes, measures, and pours pesticide product in a safe manner according to product label
(5) Apply pesticides as directed
(6) Promptly reports breaches of safety, compliance, and sanitation to the IPM Manager, Greenhouse Manager, or Operations Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, include but are not limited to:
- Proactively monitor and scout plants for early detection of insects, diseases, and viruses
- Accurately weighs, measures, mixes, and pours and pesticide product according to the label
- Utilizes microscope other tools to perform laboratory work and properly identify target pests and pathogens
- Collaborates with and provides support to nursery staff within a production environment
- Always follows standard operating procedures in a safe and compliant manner
- Promptly reports breaches in compliance, safety, and sanitation to management
- Monthly inventory of all products needed including PPE, beneficials and pesticides
- Collaborate with management team to assure compliance with all regulations
- Continuing education in State, Federal and local regulatory compliance regarding pesticides, PPE and applications specific to the agri-cannabis industry, as well as other safety initiatives
- Maintain and update crop activity records, documents, chemical application logs, etc.
- Collaborate with a team to develop and maintain a clean plant scouting program
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily (with or without accommodations). The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Private applicator certificate, or QAL preferred
- At least 2 years of experience of IPM/ Plant health in a greenhouse or nursery environment
- Working knowledge of pest identification, focused on aphids, mites, thrips, fungal and bacterial pathogens
- Strong understanding of plant health, nutrient deficiencies, and toxicities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams
- Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks under time constraints and strict deadlines
- Demonstrated efficiency, productivity, attention to detail, accuracy, and results orientation
- Ability to accurately use microscope
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Hand and finger dexterity required for extended periods
- Consistent hand-eye coordination
- Wearing gloves and other required protective gear for extended periods when required
- Able to lift up to thirty (30) pounds at a time
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to colleagues and management
- Climate controlled nursery conditions conducive to plant life
- PPE required at all times when pesticides are being handled, which may include a Tivech suit and respirator
- Strong odors from pesticide and cleaning products
- Normal operating hours are Monday through Sunday , 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (may be subject to change depending on operational needs). The company operates 365 days a year and may be expected to work holidays
- Occasional loud noises from machinery
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Women, People of Color and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all Employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age (age 40 and over), citizenship, national origin, disability (as defined by the applicable law), or any other classification protected by applicable law. This policy extends to all aspects of employment opportunity including hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall, reduction in force, termination, retirement, placement, training and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. The Company complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of qualified individuals (both Employees and applicants for employment) who are disabled. All employment is at-will.