H.W. Kaufman Group is seeking a passionate, results-oriented, and inventive Sr. Technical Product Manager to drive the ongoing development and public launch of an early-stage digital engagement platform, delivering expedient quote and issue of insurance products to insurance agents. This position is located within Information Technology, reporting to the IT Director of Service Management or Office of the CIO. Prior product management experience is required. Insurance experience is highly desired.
Technical Product Management at H.W. Kaufman is inherently cross-functional. The Sr. Technical Product Manager is a hybrid role, occupying a middle ground between the Business and Information Technology. The right candidate will be both analytical and strategic, and possess the ability to shift the language they use in a manner aligned with their audience as they move between Business and IT domains. They will work with sponsors and stakeholders to define, design, deliver, monitor, refine, and withdraw features and experiences within this platform to maximize business results. They must secure and lead resources from internal application development teams, vendors, and other business divisions such as Marketing to execute and sustain the platform vision, including oversight of the end-to-end customer experience, ensuring consistency in the look, feel, and functionality of system and business processes. To achieve results, options and decisions must be grounded in data, and communicated clearly and frequently in an executive-ready fashion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to explain technology in business terms and translate unstructured business objectives into executable initiatives
- Strong expertise in the following skills:
o Overall product management discipline
o Cross-functional leadership, influence, and collaboration to achieve target outcomes
o Definition, refinement and execution of a technology roadmap based on business requirements, technological feasibility, budget, and constraints
o Agile/lean methodologies
o Requirements gathering and analysis
o Quantification of estimates and resource requirements
o Budget management
o Vendor and contract management
o Risk assessment, problem resolution, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Familiarity with and the ability to provide oversight of the following skills and activities:
o Technical project management discipline, including development and monitoring of project plans and creation of technical project artifacts
o Conversion of business and functional requirements to use cases, epics, and stories with acceptance criteria
o System and system integration design based on requirements
o Testing stages through the SDLC and capability to write and execute test plans and cases
- Understanding of basic data modeling concepts (preferred)
- Understanding of the property and casualty insurance landscape (preferred)
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, information technology, business administration, or equivalent work experience.
- 5 or more years in Information Technology and/or business/industry
- 3 or more years in diverse roles and increasing responsibilities across business and IT
- 3 or more years working on moderate-to-complex projects or systems
- Experience engaging executives or senior leaders to support important business decisions
- Experience working within insurance industry (preferred)
- Executive Leadership Team
- IT leadership team: CIO, directors
- IT management and staff: managers, supervisors, individual contributors
- Business unit executives and staff
- Other business function staff (e.g. finance, HR, compliance, legal, etc.)
- Outside vendors
- Competitive base compensation
- Health benefits & 401K with employer match
- Employer paid continuing education courses and designations
- Many opportunities for career advancement
The H.W. Kaufman Group is a global, forward-thinking specialty insurance organization that includes 15 companies with more than 2,000 professionals at 60 offices across the U.S., Canada and UK. With an ever-broadening group of companies in our portfolio, there is simply not a more unique professional experience in the specialty insurance business than joining one of the H.W. Kaufman Group organizations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The H.W. Kaufman Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status or condition protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.