Thorlabs IT Specialist has the responsibility to work with and provide direct support for a diverse set of desktop, printer, and server technologies that span the global offices. Such responsibilities will include answering the support line, tracking and responding to the helpdesk ticketing system, creation of tickets, as well as evaluating and escalating support cases to next level team members. The candidate must have an enthusiastic demeanor with the ability to foster a friendly atmosphere with the end-user client base. Additionally, the candidate must be a self-starter who can work efficiently in a fast-paced support operations environment. The individual must have excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate would be rewarded working with leading edge IT technologies, have the freedom to learn and innovate, and the opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills in a scientific environment that crosses many platforms and technologies. This position will involve daily interaction with end users, internal IT staff, and management. This position requires working as part of a team that actively supports a dynamic environment and requires working directly with a broad spectrum of users, desktop related technologies including hardware, software, networking, and telecommunications.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Resolve end user issues received via ticketing system, email, phone, or in person, accurately, efficiently and to the satisfaction of the end user. Ensure that the solution enables the end user to work productively with minimal disruption.
- Install and configure new equipment as directed.
- Maintain documentation of issues, solutions and proactively produce/publish support documents.
- Proactively improve processes and procedures related to the position.
- Ability to travel to other offices and/or corporate headquarters as business needs dictate.
- Frequently lift up to 60 pounds and move PCs and other equipment.
- As needed, instruct end users in the appropriate use of equipment, software, and/or reference materials.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Maintain and build technical knowledge through continuous education with a focus on customer support.
- Maintain product inventory for Printers, PC’s, and peripherals.
- Ability to diagnose and repair virus/malware issues.
- Enforce corporate network and security policies.
- 5 years of related experience
- Minimum of Associates degree or technical degree
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to diagnose hardware, system, security, and application issues.
- Basic to intermediate system administration and troubleshooting within Microsoft Active Directory.
- Basic to Intermediate skills in network topologies, security, and infrastructure.
- Experience with diverse operating systems and applications (Microsoft, Mac OS, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Server, VMWARE, Citrix) in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to image, install, and configure Windows operating systems.
- Intermediate skills in supporting remote access, software deployment, and other technology solutions.
- The ability to research and recommend solutions outside one's typical skill set.
- Ability to resolve technical issues with employees over the phone, in person, and via email.
- Ability to walk users through re-creating, troubleshooting and resolving, and documenting problems effectively.
- Working knowledge of antivirus/anti-malware products and remedies.
- Ability to understand and follow laser safety procedures when working in lab rooms
- Excellent written, communication, documentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities.
- Willing to support/work off hours and weekend activities and travel.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to deal with frustrated end users.
- Organized and very detail orientated.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, define schedules, and meet departmental deadlines.
- Vendor certifications are a plus.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law
- Paid Holidays
- Mobile Phone Discount
- Free Food and Coffee
- Gym Memberships
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Merchandise Discounts
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Performance bonus
- Professional Development
- Paid sick days
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Employee Referral Program
- Long Term Disability
- Medical, Dental and Vision