Built on a culture of safety and integrity, NMS delivers award-winning, integrated support services to a variety of clients in food service, facilities management, camp services, security and hotel management in Alaska and the continental U.S. We are proud to serve not only our original oilfield clients, but also clients from federal, state and local governments, corporate facilities, healthcare institutions, schools and universities, manufacturing centers, and the transportation and telecommunications industry. Our clients have peace of mind knowing we are committed to delivering best-in-class service, and we bring creativity, technology and experience to every project. Our mission is to provide management and support services at a level of quality, value, safety and expertise beyond our clients’ expectations. At NMS, we expect our employees to fulfill that mission in every aspect of their work.
This Janitor position provides a variety of laundry attending, cleaning services and other related duties required to keep remote industrial housing facilities, food service areas, office facilities, or similar areas in a clean and orderly condition. This position will expedite product, supplies and equipment from facility to facility. All duties are to be performed in accordance with NMS’ mission, vision, and values as well as housekeeping policies, practices, and procedures.
This night janitor position is based in Valdez, Alaska working Sunday-Thursday. Scheduled hours are 6:00pm-4:30am with an hourly rate of $15.00/hr. and overtime is paid at time and a half.
- Utilizes safe work practices, and uses proper PPE in the performance of all tasks.
- Cleans, vacuums, mops, or restocks hallways, stairways, offices, food preparation or break areas, kitchen areas or equipment, laundry rooms, clinics, living areas, work areas, off-site areas, common areas, restrooms, public areas, or other similar areas
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, strips, extract, waxes, buff, vacuums, etc. all types of floors
- Dusts both low and high areas. Wipes down or cleans various surfaces
- Uses appropriate equipment and cleaning solutions for all tasks
- Removes and properly disposes of discarded materials
- May compact trash
- Removes and transports trash to the appropriate disposal areas
- Remove linen, towels, and trash from various areas
- May require cleaning of indoor and/or outdoor smoking lounges
- May change light bulbs and perform very light facility maintenance
- May keep building entryways free of snow and debris
- Participates in and supports corporate safety programs
- May operate a vehicle to work at satellite locations, on and off site.
- Notify supervisor if safety and sanitation standards are not being met.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the department or unit’s success also may be assigned.
- Some combination of education or experience that evidences a working knowledge of cleaning equipment and general cleaning processes.
- Currently hold or have the ability to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) within 30 days of hire.
- A valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record for the past three (3) years to be eligible under NMS’ vehicle insurance policy.
- Must pass all pre-employment contract requirements which may include but are not limited to: hair follicle drug test, physical and fit for duty assessment and hearing test. Applicants not located near a testing facility are responsible for paying for travel to the nearest testing facility.
- Must be able to cooperate and work as part of a team with fellow employees, customers and clients.
- Must be able to make decisions in the moment with little to no supervision.
- Must be able to be on your feet for 10-12 hours per shift.
- Contract requires employees to speak, understand, read and write English.
- Must meet and adhere to all safety guidelines and regulations set forth by the company and client.
Noise level: Moderate to Loud
Description of environment: Employees must constantly be able to stand, sit, walk, climb, push, pull use hands and arms, stoop, kneel and crouch. Employees are occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
Physical requirements: Fit For Duty Test
- Lift: Lift 48 lbs. from floor to knuckle x2
- Lift: Lift 48 lbs. from floor to waist x 2
- Lift: Lift 38 lbs. from floor to shoulders x 2
- Carry: Carry 38 lbs. with two hands for a minimum distance of 30 feet x 2, self-paced.
- Allow a 60 second rest period between carry tests.
- Push: push horizontally with a peak force of 50 f-lbs. with two hands
- Pull: pull horizontally with a peak force of 75 f-lbs. with two hands.
- Stoop & Twist: Perform alternate cross over toe touches x 5 each side, self-paced but continuous.
- Squat Test: Functionally squat x 5, self-paced but continuous.
- Kneel: Kneel on one knee and stand. Return to kneel on opposite knee. Repeat alternate kneeling sequence x 5 for each knee, self-pace but continuous.
- Stairs: Climb up and down 12 steps x 15 for a total of 180 steps using one hand to grasp a railing for safety:
- Allow 30 second rest after climbing up and down each set of 50 steps, self-paced.
- Stairs & Carry: Climb up and down 10 steps x 5 for a total of 50 steps while carrying 38 lbs. in one hand and using the other hand to grasp a railing for safety, self-paced.
- Allow a 60 second rest period after climbing up and down 25 steps while carrying.
- Slanted Ladder: Climb a slanted ladder with 2 rungs x 2 repetitions for a total of 4 rungs, self-paced but continuous.
- All tests must be performed within a safe target heart rate as determined by the contract requirements.
NMS Core Values
Safety guides our behavior.
Honesty and integrity govern our activities.
Commitments made will be fulfilled.
All individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
The environment will be protected and sustained.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
NMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran protected status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is NMS policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements.
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000
To request an accommodation by email, contact us email@example.com