Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking talented Java Software Engineers – Senior Level for our Phoenix, Arizona facility.
USAA Java Software Engineers create and maintain APIs for our business software applications that our members use. Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these APIs are or how we've made them simpler. Faster. Safer. Yet they help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and responsibility.
Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks. You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our members will be far more significant.
As a Java Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions leveraging TDD. Your responsibilities will require you to be knowledgeable in API development. You will be a part of teams of developers guiding on engineering and architecture best practices as well as demonstrate the ability to partner and engage with other engineers and architects. You will work closely with business clients and UI designers to analyze user requirements, code applications and customize and/or integrate commercial software packages for both internal employees and external member-facing applications across multiple platforms.
As a Java Engineer, it will be your responsibility to maintain code integrity and quality.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day. We are over 4,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
- Utilizing technical expertise; Creates system requirements, performs design and analysis, and coding and unit testing of complex to highly complex system functionality and/or defect correction across multiple platforms. Identifies ideas to improve system performance and impact availability. Resolves complex technical design issues.
- Provides functional and/or technical guidance in evaluating applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals. Coordinates changes and influences and prioritizes tasks with business or technical departments.
- Analyzes and influences technical, system, and/or user requirements. Identifies and creates solutions to improve system performance and availability. Facilitates root cause analysis of system issues to minimize impact and future occurrences.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews. Typically serves as a resource to the business.
- Develops accurate estimates on work packages and ensures the accuracy of estimates developed by less experienced internal and third party team members. Analyzes and designs specifications for less experienced internal and third party team members to execute. Acts as a technical resource throughout the development life cycle. May also actively contribute to the technical and soft skills development of team members.
- Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical work packages to cross-functional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle. Keeps management appropriately informed of progress and issues.
- Coordinates system application transition from development teams to maintenance and production teams, and/or constructs and implements necessary controls to assure system/application traceability.
- Bachelor's degree OR four additional years of related experience in lieu of a degree.
- And 6+ years of software engineering/development experience utilizing Java with at least 2 years experience working with Web Services REST or SOAP.
- 4+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- 2+ years in AGILE methodology
- 2+ years experience integrating with backend services like JMS, J2C, ORM frameworks (Hibernate, JPA, JDO, etc), JDBC.
- Ability to design and implement container based APIs using container frameworks like OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Relational Database design and optimization with Oracle DB2, MySQL, or Postgres
- Understanding of microservices architecture design and implementation
- Working experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Cloud infrastructure application development with vendors like AWS, Google or Microsoft.
- Experience testing in REST services
USAA's most valuable resource is our 28,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas. Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning and continuing education. We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.