Carmen perform inspections and repairs on passenger and freight cars. Carmen inspect rolling stock for defective conditions in accordance with Federal Railroad Administration and Transport Canada regulations.
Repair and inspections are performed in various settings indoors and outdoors. Work requires walking, stooping, bending, lifting up to 60 pounds, climbing and sitting for extended periods.
- Candidates must possess a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of railroad car anatomy, construction, repair and/or maintenance. Candidates must possess knowledge of air brake components, air brake testing, single car air brake testing in compliance with regulation, be familiar with industry standard PPE and rules including blue flag protection.
- Candidate must be able to perform “inside repairs” of passenger equipment.
- Candidate must provide documentation of completion of courses with the Railroad Education Bureau or proof of four (4) years’ experience in the Carman classification.
- Candidate must develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
- Candidate must have a valid driver's license and passport.
- Preferred candidate will have wood carpentry experience in framing, finishing and plumbing. Preferred candidate will be a certified welder.