Apache Junction Unified School District
Classification: Full-time, Hourly, Year-round
Job Title: Journeyman Mechanic
Reports To: Fleet Supervisor
Hourly Rate: (Based on experience & education), year-round
AJUSD’s mission is to provide our students with a caring and inclusive educational experience that fosters academic excellence, social and emotional development and provides a challenging learning environment that will prepare them for a productive and fulfilling future.
Journeyman Mechanic Job Goal
The Fleet Supervisor supports AJUSD’s mission by assisting and training in the maintenance and repair of all buses, district vehicles, and equipment to assure safety of passengers by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Performs preventive maintenance and needed repairs on all buses, district vehicles and equipment.
- Repairs or replaces defective parts.
- Installs special functional and structural parts in devices.
- Lubricates and cleans parts.
- Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts. Reassembles when repairs are completed.
- Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections. Starts devices to test their performance.
- Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments. Lubricates adjusts and services equipment.
- May serve as relief driver.
- Journeyman Mechanic is responsible for the following Daily Maintenance Logs including (but not limited to):
- Documentation of requested vehicle maintenance
- Documentation of all emergency vehicle maintenance requests
- Documentation of maintenance and repairs including labor hours of cost of parts
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates leadership by willingly understanding that other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
Professional Core Values
Respond to all internal and external customers, in a prompt, efficient, friendly and patient manner
Work with a large cross section of people in a professional and non-judgmental manner
Be responsible, reliable, and punctual
Adhere to the dress code appropriate to the site and job
Be a positive role model for students and staff
Establish and maintain courteous, cooperative working relationships
Maintain confidentiality of sensitive student and staff information
Function effectively as a team leader and team member
Direct constructive criticism toward improving the district
Be a willing learner that models flexibility and adapts to change
Positively accept direction and follows chain of command
Exercise positive problem solving behavior and conflict resolution skills
High School diploma or equivalent
Maintains a current CDL including bus driver certification
Minimum of three years experience in light, medium and heavy duty truck repair
ASE certified Master Bus Mechanic within 2 years of hire.
Basic computer skills such as Microsoft Word and Excel
Ability to communicate and work effectively with students, staff, and occasionally the public
Knowledge of and adherence to all AJUSD policies, regulations and rules related to: student transportation
First Aid, CPR certified within 90 days of hire.
ASE certified Master Bus Mechanic
Exemplary work experience performing similar duties and responsibilities
Physical Requirements — Transportation Garage
Positions in this department typically require: stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, standing, walking, sitting, finger or manual dexterity, repetitive finger motion, speaking, hearing, seeing (with correction), focusing ability, or other factors applicable to this job. Employees may be subject to travel, odors, dust, poor ventilation, workspace restrictions, and loud noises. Duties require employee to drive a vehicle, be exposed to outside weather conditions including extreme heat or cold, wind and rain. Employees may be required to lift or exert up to 100 pounds of force to move objects occasionally, and up to 50 pounds of force to move objects frequently. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
The Apache Junction Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, sex (Including orientation) or disability in its employment practices.
Our Kids * Our Community * REACHING for the Future!