GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Journeyperson Maintenance Mechanic duties include day-to-day preventive maintenance tasks, equipment repair, and fabrication necessary to maintain the facility and manufacturing equipment. This includes PLC’s, VFD’s, conveyors, grinders, fans, tools, heavy equipment, etc. As an Industrial Maintenance Technician, you must have the ability to read and understand mechanical\electrical diagrams and technical repair manuals. Performs other maintenance duties as required to promote overall plant productivity and safety effectiveness. This position is being offered on 2nd shift (2:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.).
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of processing\manufacturing equipment: Air Compressors, Conveyors, Industrial Fans, Electric Motors, Electric/Pneumatic tools, Gear Boxes, Etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other employees in the facility, both verbally and in writing.
- Reads and understands mechanical and electrical prints, diagrams, and technical repair manuals
- Knowledge of process automation equipment: Proximity Switches, Transformers, Relay’s, Limit Switches, HMI’s and PLC’s within a manufacturing environment.
- Will install, maintain, and repair automated machinery. The technician should be familiar with VFD’s, gearboxes, reducers, and pumps, as well as pneumatic and hydraulic systems.
- Ability to change in between assignments quickly (unscheduled repairs).
- Ability to complete assigned duties with little or no supervision or instruction.
- Applies knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions applicable to maintenance work.
- Operating personal lifts and material handling tools and equipment.
- Experience using industrial material handling equipment which includes: Overhead Cranes, Rigging, Forklifts, Boom Lifts, Etc. for the purpose of relocating a variety of complex, heavy equipment and components.
- Knowledge of fabrication and machine tools including: OxyAce torch\welding equipment, Welding (SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW), Drill Press, Band Saws, Plate Shear, Etc.
- Understanding of OSHA regulations and implementation of safety regulations
- Ensures manufacturing processes are capable with respect to quality specifications.
- Willing to share ideas, techniques, and procedures with coworkers.
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical breakdowns and repair as necessary.
- Ability to make steel fabrications via measuring, cutting, bending and welding.
- Knowledge in the general repair of processing\manufacturing equipment.
- Must have own basic set of tools and the skill in the use and care of those tools.
- Maintains a safe and productive work environment.
- Follow all GILLIG safety policies and procedures.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned and/or required.
- High School Diploma
- Vocational training or AA/AS degree is a benefit.
- Strong ability in all areas of electrical maintenance, including 3-phase motors, variable frequency drives, controls, and troubleshooting is required.
- Industrial Mechanic Technician candidate must demonstrate competency by passing skill test(s).
- Minimum of 3-5 years maintenance experience in a manufacturing /industrial environment.
- Candidates should have a good driving record.
- Other Skills: Technical Understanding, Technical Zeal, Deals with Uncertainty, Basic Safety, Power Tools, Attention to Detail, Flexibility, Supervision, Job Knowledge, Quality, Productivity.
About the environment
- Ability to lift 50lbs and carry for short distances up to 20ft.
- While performing the duties of the job you may be required to stand, walk, climb ladders, and reach above your head with hands and arms.
- May be required to walk/stand for approximately 80% of working time.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- No limitation in the proper use of respiratory protection equipment.
- May be required to work on elevated equipment and platforms, above 20ft, to complete work.
Work Environment (relevant PPE to be provided)
- Ability to work in both conditioned and non-conditioned workspaces for prolonged periods of time.
- May be exposed to equipment/processes which produce high decibel levels.
- Work in close proximity to high energy devises such as electrical switchgear and pressure vessels.
- May be exposed to chemical odors in the workplace.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visa’s now or in the future
After 125 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
We are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate congestion, and contribute to a greener environment.
Our Company pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG’s steadfast focus on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards in which the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's equipment and facilities.
For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace. All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.