Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
JSC Operations Shift Supervisor
Position Title: Operations Shift Supervisor Job Code: TAT-PWR200
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose of the Position
Will perform assigned Operations Senior Shift Supervisor (formerly Program Control Sr. Professional) duties as a PAE employee onsite at the NASA Johnson Space Center. Responsible for supervising operations personnel on a rotating shift basis. Oversee and direct operation personnel in safely providing required services to Customer. This includes the operations of boilers, large commercial chillers, compressed air systems, potable water system, various cooling towers, HVAC and various other building services.
Principal Responsibilities of the Position
Using industry best practices, prioritize operation needs to best utilize available manpower while still providing services to the Customer. Communicate with Work Control Center the status of all work orders reported during the shift. Oversee all training of Operators by coordinating with Training Chiefs to ensure that all Operators are competent in the role that they are assigned, whether temporarily or permanently. Oversee the work and schedules of the rotating schedule shift supervisors, ensuring appropriate supervision oversight for all operations shifts. Direct the work of the straight day and evening shift of Operators as their immediate supervisor.
Fill vacancies and assign overtime, as required, and according to contract to maintain the required workforce on site at all times. Act as off-hours contact person for all PAE activities. Communicate to on-duty Management as needed or instructed. Train, mentor, and coach employees to ensure the workforce is continuously improving in the areas of job knowledge, skills and the ability to safely perform assigned tasks. Oversee the operation of various equipment as directed to fit PM schedules, outages and other factors that influence the ability of the Plant to meet Customer needs.
Enforce PAE and JSC policies and guidelines including use of JHAs, PPE requirements, safe work practices, timekeeping, etc. Complete reports as assigned to ensure important information is communicated to other shift personnel, upper management and NASA. Will Provide PAE incident command requirements on assigned shift. Will coordinate and execute building outages and Utility Procedures. Support Hurricane Ride-Out Team.
Tasks typically assigned to Operations Shift Supervisor (but not limited to the following)
Develop and maintain the professionalism required to be an effective Supervisor at PAE/JSC. Supervise Field Operations, EMCS Operators, Hot/Cold Team, Shift Maintenance, Site Operations and Plant Operations. Implement an aggressive personal training plan to gain the knowledge to be a proper FLS at PAE/JSC. Learn the IUOE Contract, the FSS contract, environmental regulations, LOTO procedure, and other binding documents that regulate our operations of the site and be able to manage personnel, equipment, and communications accordingly. Oversee all operations at JSC. This would include the Central Heating and Cooling Plant at Building 24 (CHCP), Auxiliary Chiller Plant at Building 28(ACP), Mission Control Power Plant at Building 48 (MCPP), Water Plant at Building 319 and 322 and the Sewage Pumping Stations. Perform daily audits and manage personnel to maintain proper housekeeping, especially in assigned areas. During each shift complete a walk-through of assigned areas on a rotating basis to maintain awareness of equipment status. This would include knowing the operational capabilities, availability and reliability of equipment in these areas. Conduct a daily shift meeting with all assigned personnel and discuss operations, upcoming events and outages, recent changes, and other information as needed to maximize our ability to provide services. This meeting should include a discussion of any pertinent safety topics. Publish the Daily Morning Report for each shift. Communicate to supervision and other support personnel requirements to maintain safe and efficient operations at JSC. Verify that all personnel reported to work for their assigned shifts. Fill vacancies as required. This will include scheduling personnel for training, physicals, vacation, jury duty, death in the family, weather support, workload and Company required meetings. This would also include recording and communicating when employees call in to report illness and filling the associated vacancy. Insure that the Overtime Book is kept up to date and current with employees’ overtime hours. Verify and sign Shift Supervisors timesheets in TLS, and other Operations employee timesheets as needed to assist Shift Supervisors. Check Outage Schedules and make sure field personnel are aware of same. Routine checks of Operator duties. Spend time in the field observing Operators performing duties. Coach and mentor Operators to improve knowledge and skills. Communicate and enforce Company policy, changes and/or other information as available. Work with Training Coordinator to make sure Operations Personnel receive correct training and that required training (both operations and regulatory) is current. Provide the assigned Operators with proper PPE, tools and equipment to allow them to safely and properly perform their jobs. Tuesday and Friday perform routine audits of PPE lockers to ensure they are properly supplied. Review and monitor operations daily shift logs and readings. Communicate to Operators when there are deficiencies and encourage those assigned to them to give due diligence to shift notes, logs, chemistry reports, etc.
At least once per shift, review one (1) Operators’ complete set of shift notes, readings and logs. Coach and mentor the Operator as needed to improve any deficiencies.
Review ALL shift turnover reports for the assigned shift.
Complete a proper Turnover Report for the oncoming Shift Supervisor.
Constantly monitor and visually inspect work areas for unsafe conditions and/or unsafe behaviors. Coach and/or mentor assigned Operators as necessary to correct any deficiencies. Record daily CM’s and PM’s and take paperwork to WCC. Complete assigned reports, Utility Procedures (UPs), Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs), etc. as assigned. Collect and compile the necessary information needed for the following;
Company Monthly Truck Mileage Report
Monthly Annex 4 Report.
Be available as required to cover shifts when vacancies occur. Complete Flash Report as required within 2 hours of events. Assign and track emergency and urgent work orders with craft persons. Interact with craft persons to develop best plan forward for these work orders. Other tasks and duties as assigned by the Operations/Utilities Manager.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferred
- High School Diploma
- Relevant certification and training
- 5 or more years effective supervision experience
- Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
- Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
- Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
- Must have, and maintain, a valid Texas driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a Pre-Employment background check and drug screen test.
- Clean, neat, and professional personal appearance.
- Will insure quality and completeness of work in a safe and timely manner as well as insuring areas worked are clean, neat and ready for Customers’ needs when complete.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
- Organization skills to balance and prioritize work
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Interpersonal and interviewing skills to gather information from personnel
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Computer knowledge including, but not limited to, the ability to work comfortably with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability to access and work on the intranet and the Internet.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms of English. Also the ability to communicate with all levels from new Operators to upper level management.
- Professional appearance and demeanor as required supervising others.
- Knowledge of rotating shift work including overtime and vacancy filling.
- Willingness to work rotating shifts as assigned.
- Dexterity to operate office equipment and work in the field as required by the position.
- Prior knowledge of NASA site, experienced with working on government installations preferred.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.