Are you searching for impactful aerodynamics work, especially in the area of hypersonics?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an engineer to help us analyze the aerodynamic capabilities of new and existing precision engagement weapon systems. As a member of our team, you will contribute to exciting projects supporting the US Department of Defense and the warfighter. Our team strives to develop, apply, and maintain deep expertise in aerodynamics, computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and testing. You will work alongside aerodynamics gurus who have a real passion for conducting state-of-the-art research and advancing our country's capabilities. Our diverse team of hardworking engineers believe in fostering an environment of continuous learning and mentoring.
As a Junior Aeronautics Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be predicting and modeling the aerodynamic characteristics of various air-vehicle configurations including hypersonic re-entry vehicles, supersonic and hypersonic boosters and air-breathing concepts, and subsonic unmanned air vehicles. You will primarily use first order aerodynamic prediction codes and CFD simulations to make these predictions.
- You will perform and analyze trajectory simulations to generate range and maneuverability estimates using high-fidelity aerodynamics models.
- You will plan and conduct wind tunnel tests and perform post-test analysis to render data into high fidelity aerodynamic models for incorporation into six degree-of-freedom simulations. You will support associated test activities including pre-test predictions, test design, instrumentation requirements, and documentation.
- You will lead and contribute to planning activities for future projects and initiatives while providing technical guidance on ongoing projects.
- You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise government and contractor partners on risk areas related to aerodynamics and performance, and propose and execute studies to reduce program risks.
- You will craft reports and presentations to communicate results to team members and government partners.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Have 2+ years of experience in conducting CFD simulations, running wind tunnel tests, or analyzing and developing aerodynamic models.
- Have prior experience coding and using MATLAB scripts and functions.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a MS degree or equivalent experience in advanced weapon system design and development with a focus on aerodynamics.
- Have previously worked with trajectory modeling software, CAD, and/or direct simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) modeling tools.
- Have general programming skills in Bash (or similar shell equivalent) and/or Python.
- Have shown initiative, motivation, and flexibility.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.