Junior Project Cost Controller - Direct Hire
International transportation manufacturer hiring for the position of Junior Project Cost Controller. This is a direct hire, full-time, salary position. Junior Project Cost Controller reports to the Planning and Cost Control Manager.
Basic Function: The junior cost accountant position is accountable for the ongoing analysis of process constraints, target costing projects, margin analysis and tracing costs back to underlying activities. The cost accountant must also construct and monitor those cost-effective data accumulation systems needed to provide an appropriate level of costing information to management.
- Construct data accumulation systems for a project cost accounting system
- Create and review the controls needed for data accumulation and reporting systems (both financial and management reporting)
- Supervise physical inventory counts and cycle counts
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues in cooperation with Operations Dept.
- Update standard costs in the bill of materials
- Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies
- Validate the cost of materials as part of the month-end close
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles
- Work with the Operations team to locate and dispose of obsolete inventory
- Conduct ongoing process constraint analyses
- Report on breakeven points by Cost Center Group, Project, and Class
- Report on periodic variances (qualitative & quantitative), focusing on actual expenditures versus budget
- Analyze capital budgeting requests & follow up on capitalization of assets
- Perform cost accumulation tasks as a member of the target costing group
- Assist with performing month-end close activities related to cost accounting;
- BC in Accounting, Business Administration, and/or Finance. Experience:
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar position.
Analytical accounting expertise:
Knowledge of accounting and project management principles and strong analytical skills
Expertise with ERP information systems, particularly SAP/R3 (modules FI, CO, MM) in a manufacturing environment preferred. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Excel), ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.