Requisition ID: 23900
Job Category: Engineering; Information Technology; Instrumentation & Controls; New Graduate; Student; Technology
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Digital has become a fundamental part of our clients’ strategies, driving more efficiencies and effectiveness to their way of working and operating. As a result, clients have embarked on the journey of implementing digital and automation technologies. Often, these projects are executed on isolation without adequate visibility to continuously quantify the benefits or to identify improvement opportunities. Multiple technologies are been implemented without a good plan and integrated architecture in mind, diminishing the return of value that clients are getting from their investment.
Our Digital team is looking for Junior and Intermediate Software Developer who are looking to start and develop a successful career on Industrial Internet of Things and Automation applications by becoming part of our Smart Ports Integration team. The successful candidate must:
- be able to assist and shadow our Subject Matter Experts and/or project leads on various tasks including quality assurance - testing and validation
- has excellent presentation and communication skills both written and spoken
- has curiosity for learning about communication protocols and architecture considerations for real-time operational and automation systems that collect data and automate heavy equipment in the field; best practices on how to ensure that the data moves to other levels and locations within the client organization, away from the equipment; applications of online dashboards and reports that delivers the data to the different stakeholders
- has high attention to details, motivation and commitment to quality and customer service
- The candidate will have to work on site and may interact with clients’ stakeholders (internal and external) from various functional backgrounds – management, operations, process, maintenance, engineering, IT and automation.
- The successful candidate will be based in Los Angeles, USA. Hatch offers an excellent environment to accelerate your experience in Industrial Internet of Things and Automation applications. With a strong organization for coaching and mentoring on-the-job so you can get first line experience.
- This role will form part of Smart Ports system integration team, report to its global lead, and will work to support the overall Container Port and Terminal integration projects. The specific responsibilities will be to deliver on your assigned project activities including timely escalation of potential issues that may impact your deliverables.
Key Performance Indicators
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve:
- Meeting the deadlines of your deliverables
- Quality of your deliverables
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- College or University Degree on Electrical, Computer Science or Systems Engineering
- 1-2 years of professional of development experience in an agile development environment
- Strong knowledge of SQL Server and T-SQL
- Knowledge and/or experience Protocol – REST via Web API + JSCON, OData, JMS
- Understanding of industrial protocols – e.g. MQTT, APMQ, OPC-UA, FIELDBUS, CANBUS, MODBUS is an asset
- Must be a self-starter and organized and needs minimal supervision
- Understanding of all aspects of software development and implementation
- Experience with Software Development Lifecycle Management (SDLC) including quality assurance / automated testing is an asset
- Experience in TFS + VSTS (Scrum and Source Control)
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio and Team Foundation, Rational (IBM), HP Quality Centre / ALM or TestLog is an asset
- Good time management, communications, presentation and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken is a must
- Familiarity with some requirements gathering techniques is an asset
- Ability to work in an environment of multiple parallel projects and within a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn and quickly comprehend new concepts and technologies
- Experience or interest on learning automation or software products is an asset
- Experience with product development of NAVIS or TIDEWORKS, or other automation technologies is an asset
- Ability to travel up to 50% and/or work at client sites, often outside of normal business hours as part of a global team
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.