At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global firm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
- Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the firm.
- Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
- Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
- Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the firm.
- Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
- Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
- Brings energy, enthusiasm, creativity, and a disciplined work ethic to the City Design Practice.
- Actively participates as a junior member of the CDP Team.
- Becomes immersed in the SOM office thru lectures, design reviews, lunch and learns, site visits, and participation in office activities and professional development opportunities.
- Actively participates in the Year One Program (as appropriate).
- Generates planning and design ideas, conducts research, documents precedents and scale studies, develops diagrams, renders site plans, and contributes to all manner of graphic and visual production.
- Takes initiative to learn and apply SOM City Design Practice protocols for file management, planning and design processes, and quality control standards for deliverables.
- Applies a strong conceptual design ability to projects of varying complexity and sites of divergent scales; begins to integrate interdisciplinary criteria to effectively move forward the planning and urban design aspects of complex projects.
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of planning and urban design concepts, building typologies and critical dimensions, utility and infrastructure systems, land development considerations and planning/ zoning codes, and phasing and implementation techniques.
- Is able to enrich design concepts through knowledge, research, and proficient application of technical and visualization skills and effectively uses software and appropriate analogue and digital tools to design and document at all project phases.
- Manages time and workload to meet project task deadlines and commitments with regular interaction and direction from project leaders and team members.
- Professional Degree in Architecture, Planning, Urban design, or Landscape Architecture.
- Interest in large-scale planning, mixed-use and transit oriented development, and working in a fast-paced and intensely collaborative professional environment.
- Exhibits initiative, process innovation, problem solving, and decision-making quality with a high attention to detail, precision and accuracy at a task specific level.
- Actively collaborates at a project team level by developing, communicating, and critically and constructively evaluating ideas.
- Effectively communicates internally through timely and appropriate written, oral, and visual means.
- Demonstrates proficiency in AutoCAD, Rhino, Grasshopper, Enscape, Lumion, parametric and rendering software, and other graphic software as well as Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office.
- LEED accreditation preferred; Revit proficiency a plus.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc).Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.