Teaches lifeguard candidates in preparation for a Starfish Aquatics Institute certification. Assists the Director of Training with all duties necessary to provide a safe and effective lifeguard course and aquatic facility. Certification and training for becoming an instructor will be provided. Previous lifeguard experience is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attends initial training and in-service training for lifeguard instructor and lifeguarding.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, including abiding by uniform requirements.
- Instructs group lifeguard course in level-appropriate skills.
- Evaluates lifeguard course participants.
- Maintains a clean, safe, orderly facility and class.
- Performs daily safety checks on pool and deck areas.
- Maintains an attentive lookout for potential accidents in the swimming pool and surrounding facility and appropriately checks any problems.
- Assures records of daily course attendance and skills checklists are appropriately maintained and documented.
- Notifies the Director of Training in the event of an emergency or other issues.
- Assures accident/injury, incident and rescue reports are documented.
- Maintain security of Starfish Aquatics and Midwest Pool Management testing materials and equipment.
- Ensure students complete test outs per training and guidelines through Starfish Aquatics.
- Assist with planning, attend and participate in all mandatory staff meetings and trainings.
- Complete additional duties assigned by supervisors.
The instructor class will be held in January. Lifeguard classes will begin in February and continue through the summer season. Please see job postings for additional open positions within our organization.
*All applicants MUST be 15 years or older by the date of their lifeguard certification class*