Krum High School
Job Title: Counselors' Secretary Wage/Hour Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Principal, Counselors
Dept. /School: Assigned Campus
Primary Purpose:Ensure efficient operation of counseling office and provide clerical services for counseling staff.
High School Diploma or GED
- Proficient keyboarding, file maintenance, and 10-key skills
- Ability to use personal computer and software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet established deadlines
One to three years secretarial experience, preferably in public education environment
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Records, Reports, and Correspondence
- Prepare written correspondence, forms, schedules, or reports using personal computer.
- Prepare instructional materials, meeting agendas, and campus communication as requested using personal computer.
- Maintain student PGP, 4-year plans, and 504 folders.
- Call parentsas needed.
- Maintain a daily teacher attendance log and records for substitute teachers.
- Compile information and submit to central office according to established deadlines.
- Maintain counselor's calendar of events.
Reception and Phones
- Monitor access control at building entrances to ensure campus security; grant access to authorized individuals.
- Schedule meetings and appointments and maintain calendar for counselors.
- Assist students, teachers, and parents as needed.
- Receive incoming calls, take reliable messages, and route to appropriate staff.
- Maintain physical and computerized files including mailing lists, student records, visitor logs, and office communication.
- Update handbooks, policy manuals, and other documents as assigned.
Accounting and Inventory
- Perform routine bookkeeping tasks including simple arithmetic operations.
- Prepare and process testing orders.
- Receive, store, and issue supplies and equipment.
- Assist with coordination of faculty meetings and testing training.
- Maintain inventory of fixed assets, equipment, and supplies.
- Assist with data entry.
- Sort, distribute, and deliver mail and other documents.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Equipment Used:Personal computer and peripherals, copier, scanner, fax machine, and calculator.
Working Conditions:Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions; repetitive hand motions; prolonged use of computer.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.