A line cook is responsible for the daily set up and preparation of food items in the station(s) for each shift. These stations include the broiler, sauté, fry and middle. Line cooks are responsible for preparing, cooking and plating of all items coming out of the kitchen.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Set up station(s) according to restaurant guidelines
- Restock all items as needed throughout the shift.
- Prepare, cook and plate all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner.
- Perform basic preparation duties, including handling raw produce and meats, following restaurant specifications for quality while following proper food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follow recipes, procedures, portion controls, and presentation specifications as set.
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety, sanitation, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate understanding and knowledge of how to properly use and maintain all equipment in station.
- Assist with the cleaning, sanitation, and organization of kitchen, walk-in coolers, and all storage areas.
- Perform additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Chefs or Managers at any time.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must have experience in similar position
- Basic understanding of recipe, preparation, cooking and knife handling skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Ability to take direction.
- Getting along with others and working in as a team.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Must have a positive attitude and be self motivated.
- Having pride in quality service, and food knowledge
- Must be able to work 2 or 3 stations during a single shift
- Must be able to multi-task
- Basic Understanding of Recipes
- Basic Math
- Professional maturity: The ability to separate emotional feelings from the real issues at hand. The ability to legitimately and objectively challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations.
- Responsibility: The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
- Communication: The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
- Customer Service: The ability to demonstrate a series of activities designed to enhance the level of customer satisfaction.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization.
- Manages Change: Demonstrates effectiveness and flexibility with changing environments, responsibilities, tasks, and people.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
- Attention to Detail: Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data.
- Organization: Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
- Teamwork: Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
- Must be able to stand for extended durations (4-12 hour shifts)
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift 50 pounds without issue.
- Ability to with stand a work environment in which average temperatures can exceed 90 degrees.
- Ability to work through a high level business of intensity
- Standing for extended periods (4-12 hour shifts)
- Occasional environmental exposures to hot, cold, and water.
- Must be able to read and understand basic recipes and cooking directions