WHO WE ARE
Bain & Company is a leading global consulting firm, serving clients from offices in all major cities. We work with top executives to help them make better decisions, convert those decisions to actions and deliver the sustainable success they desire. We are passionate about achieving results for our clients (our public clients have historically outperformed the stock market 4:1).
Knowledge Management is critical to harness the best of our consulting staffs’ individual and collective expertise. For over 20 years, Bain’s practices have supported teams across the globe with industry, capability, and enabler expertise and knowledge. Our practices are critical to Bain’s commercial success and are a key strategic priority.
The Energy & Natural Resources (ENR) Practice is one of the largest and fastest growing industry practices at Bain, and is comprised of five sectors: Agribusiness, Chemicals, Mining, Oil & Gas, and Utilities & Renewable Energy. This role will be supporting the ENR practice, including Oil & Gas.
Knowledge Specialists play a critical role in supporting Bain’s ability to deliver outstanding results for our clients. We are looking for an individual who has a strong interest in working to optimize knowledge capture operations and support, can run our end-to-end knowledge management processes, play a leadership role in coordinating with other practices, and work closely with the Practice team on projects supporting operations and product development.
This role will primarily support Americas Bain case teams working across the five ENR sectors. This role will report to the Americas ENR Team Leader based in Boston.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Coordinates and manages the capture and sharing of Bain’s EN&R knowledge and experience base
- Captures case-related knowledge from client development and case team efforts and shares them via Bain’s global intranet platform. This includes the capture and processing of case summaries, proposals, case examples, capability and product insights, tools and templates, as well as the meta-tagging of case information to facilitate user search
- Contacts client case teams and practice affiliates to understand nature of the work and solicit best content to fill ongoing practice content needs
- Coordinates with other Knowledge Specialists to identify cross sector/cross capability content priorities and works as part of global team to capture and codify materials
- Contributes to periodic product updates: Identifying most relevant Bain cases, executing research and analysis, codifying case examples and packaging insights
- Helps create and package content for maximum insight in a manner consistent with Bain’s professional standards guidelines
- Manages, designs and maintains select E&NR Sector Pages on Bain’s intranet; ensures newest cases and insights are represented, and identifies content gaps
- Helps identify leading Bain experts and develop credentials materials on key EN&R trending topics within the Practice
Provides support to Bain Consulting teams in selling and serving situations
- Helps arm client development and case teams with the “latest and greatest” Bain perspectives and relevant experts across the E&NR sectors
- Assists with proposal development in select situations (e.g. custom credentials slides)
Supports E&NR Practice Area Managers as they develop Practice Strategy and manage Practice Operations
- Assists development of regional Practice plan and revenue/expense budget
- Tracks pipeline and analyzes underlying drivers of practice revenue growth
- Supports content planning and logistics for annual practice meetings
- Assists with practice affiliate communication, including experience sharing calls
- Supports Bain brand building efforts as needed (coordinating with Marketing)
Serve as a member of Bain’s global Product, Practice & Knowledge department, in line with Bain’s Operating Principles
- Help to direct, coach, and oversee a more junior practice member’s work (usually a Knowledge Associate based in New Delhi)
- Regularly communicate issues and progress to supervisors
- Demonstrate flexibility with the changing dynamic of industry, the leadership, and commercial demands for knowledge
- Contribute as a member of PPK and the larger Bain community (e.g. participates in PPK group projects, training, experience sharing, mentoring and other initiatives, etc.)
- Minimum BA or equivalent undergraduate degree with strong academic credentials
- ~3-5 years of experience in a professional services firm environment, or with an Energy company, including Oil & Gas, with exposure to one or more of the following functional disciplines: knowledge management, consulting, marketing, research, finance, strategic planning, business development, product development, and/or project management; advanced degree or MLIS a plus
- Interest in the ENR sectors, coupled with existing awareness of select sector value chain, trends, and competitive landscape is strongly preferred
- Driven by intellectual curiosity with the ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Pragmatic and results-focused; ability to prioritize tasks and make decisions
- Superior customer service attitude and ability to keep calm under pressure
- Good business sense combined with structured problem-solving and analytical abilities
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Collaborative teammate
- Strong communication and presentation skills, i.e. ability to engage and lead a discussion with senior business executives within Bain
- Excellent written and verbal ability: business-level English language skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Word
WHAT BAIN CAN OFFER
We are proud to be publicly recognized around the globe as a great place to work. Bain has ranked as a top company in Glassdoor’s “Best Places to Work” list for the past decade. Our global offices share a diverse and energetic environment and we are committed to fostering a supportive and positive culture.
The Knowledge Specialist role provides an exciting, long-term career path within Bain. We invest in your development with regular and customized training as you progress. This role offers the opportunity to learn and grow for years within a supportive and collaborative department. We offer a competitive base salary and bonus. In addition, Bain’s comprehensive benefits program is carefully designed to help meet the needs of you and your family for security and protection.