|Mon - Sat 9a - 530p with a weekday off (Tues or Wed)|
The Lab Aide 2 is responsible for maintaining equipment in the lab and follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling, receipt and data entry into the LIMS. Duties include, but are not limited to the following examples:
Under supervision and control—
- Follow established guidelines; accessioners verify aspects of the incoming samples and assess acceptability of the sample for testing,
- Scan documents and perform data entry of information into the LIMS.
- Prepare samples for testing by centrifuging, separating blood components such as red cells and plasma, operate robotic pipetting devices, and other laboratory activities.
- Prepare excess specimen samples for storage and resolve and document problem specimens.
- Contact outside healthcare providers when information is incomplete or unacceptable.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with both internal and external personnel.
- Perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment.
- Document all deviations and corrective actions taken from the established performance specifications.
- Perform all equipment maintenance according to laboratory procedures; Maintain all equipment logs and records.
- Perform all daily temperature checks; Maintain all temperature logs and records.
- Clean racks and other laboratory supplies.
- Manage sample storage inventory.
- Create sample batches, labels, and tubes for processing.
- Support various interdepartmental personnel and activities as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently, following detailed work instructions, and as part of a cohesive team that together completes daily sample intake and processing in a timely manner.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties to meet timelines.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills are essential.
- Detail-oriented and conscientious.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in biological sciences, laboratory science or related field preferred.
- Previous industry experience in a clinical laboratory is preferred.
- Experience in handling and processing blood samples is required.
- Ability to read, understand, and comply with detailed procedures that ensure the safety of all.
- Must be flexible to work different shifts, such as Saturdays and evenings.