Would you enjoy a position where your contribution is needed and appreciated? As a Laboratory Support Associate, you will be assisting with various duties to ensure the overall functionality of the lab. You could be working in the call center, the courier room or the front desk area in the main lab.
Status:PRN (as needed)
This position embodies the Memorial Health System Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values. These standards are evident in the daily work, which includes the following:
- Provides customer service to outpatients including: admitting, ordering tests, medical necessity, release of information, and special collections
- Attaches barcodes to biological specimens following requisition entry and special collections
- Completely understands insurance policy numbers and carrier codes relating to the admitting process and maintains current knowledge on all changing methodologies
- Provides excellent customer service to laboratory clients regarding test collections, results, and turnaround time
- Interprets outpatient and non-patient physician orders, questioning any unclear order with supervisor.
- Removes biological specimens from biohazard bags, verifies that the appropriate specimen containers are received for laboratory tests ordered, prepares logs, and attaches barcodes to these biological specimens. Specimens consist of blood, urine, body fluids, biopsies, bone marrow, glass slides with dried specimen affixed and liquid based pap smears in specified transport containers.
- Provides effective communication to the outpatient either in person or by telephone answering all questions effectively. Ensures that outpatients have all necessary specimen containers and collection guides for interpretation of physician orders.
- Correctly enters outpatient and non-patient demographic and billing information into the hospital admitting system, answering all questions in each field and updating any information that is not current. Understands insurance policy numbers and carrier codes
- Monitors the printing of physician reports for inpatients and outpatients. Places reports for delivery in the appropriate bin.
Requirements for this position include:
- High School educations or equivalent required
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic communication skills required
- Knowledge of insurance policy numbers and carrier code definitions helpful
- Knowledge ofmedical terminology