Reed Smith is a global relationship law firm with more than 1,700 lawyers in 29offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Founded in 1877, the firm represents leading international businesses, from Fortune 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises. Its lawyers provide litigation and other dispute resolution services in multi-jurisdictional and other high-stakes matters; deliver regulatory counsel; and execute the full range of strategic domestic and cross-border transactions. Reed Smith is a preeminent advisor to industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, advertising, entertainment and media, shipping and transport, energy and natural resources, real estate, manufacturing, technology,and education. For more information, visit reedsmith.com.
Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures provides legal/general support to the firm's attorneys and their clients. Must be familiar with and observe the firm's established policies and guidelines. Must maintain positive contact with attorneys (both the firm's and outside counsel), support staff, clients and vendors. Observes confidentiality of client and firm matters. This position is not limited to the functions and skills listed on this description and responsibilities may be revised as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills re: case and/or project management;
- Familiarity with databases and litigation software packages, i.e., Relativity, Concordance, Live Note;
- Familiarity with document production and trial preparation relating to complex litigation matters;
- Experience preparing and serving state and federal subpoenas for requesting employment and other types of records;
- Experience preparing deposition related documents such as notices of deposition and deposition subpoenas;
- Familiarity with obtaining, reviewing and indexing legal records and documents for litigation matters;
- Experience with organizing and maintaining discovery files, noticing depositions, organizing, maintaining and preparing deposition materials, exhibits and summaries;
- Ability to do e-filings;
- Familiarity with preparing case materials for experts and witnesses;
- Ability to assist attorneys in preparing correspondence, documents and pleadings:
- Experience with trial preparation and trial assistance in complex litigation cases involving the use of advanced technology;
- Ability to work and learn independently and meet deadlines;
- Ability to interact well with attorneys, staff and clients;
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere and train and delegate to more junior paralegals and case assistants;
- Knowledge of Civil Procedure Rules and federal e-discovery rules and practices;
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills;
- Experience in appellate matters, cite checking and blue booking skills; and
- Experience working with outside vendors.
Education:Undergraduate degree and paralegal certificate required; will consider candidate with comparable relevant experience in lieu of a paralegal certificate.
Experience:Minimum of 9 years of prior litigation experience in a law firm, intellectual property experience a plus. Labor and Employment experience, a plus.
Skills:Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to work with individuals at all organizational levels. Ability to organize and prioritize issues and workload. The ability to work on projects independently and as part of a team or with little supervision. Flexibility and ability to adapt to constantly changing priorities. Exercising independent judgment and initiative.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Equipment To Be Used: Personal computer and other office equipment such as telephone, calculator, fax, machine, copier, scanner, etc.
Typical Physical Demands: Manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands: Able to deal with stress associated with fast-paced work environment. Multiple priorities/tasks. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.
Working Conditions: Works in typical office setting. Occasionally called upon to work hours in excess of your normal daily schedule.
Reed Smith offers a challenging work environment, business casual dress code and a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, flexible benefits program, tuition assistance, and generous 401 (k) plan.
Reed Smith is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
Reed Smith provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, including in the application and interview process.
Qualified candidates only. No search firms.