Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are currently seeking a Lab Assistant to join our Specimen Processing team. This full time role will work evenings, including every other weekend.
Under general supervision, performs work which involves collecting and/or processing laboratory specimens, entering data into the electronic health record (EHR) and/or the laboratory information system (LIS). Interacts and communicates with patients, their families, and members of the healthcare team by using various communication tools in a timely and professional manner.
- Assists in maintaining supplies, helping with inventory, and placing orders
- Assists with training of new staff and students
- Utilizes the electronic health record (EHR), the laboratory information system (LIS) and the email system to efficiently complete daily tasks
- Utilizes the laboratory information system (LIS) to monitor the appropriate test pending logs and communicate to the technical staff to ensure testing is not delayed
- Performs all specimen processing functions to receive and process specimens according to laboratory protocol, including, but not limited to:
- Specimen labeling using proper patient identification techniques
- Preparing specimens to be sent out to reference laboratories
- Performs urine collections for urine drug screens and complete proper paperwork
- Operates laboratory equipment for which they have received applicable training and supervisor approval to perform
- Other duties as assigned for which they have received applicable training and supervisor approval to perform
- High school diploma or GED, plus completion of an approved three month course in clinical laboratory technique
- Completion of ten quarter credits of biology or chemistry college courses and one year of experience in a clinical laboratory setting
- One year and six months of experience in a clinical laboratory setting
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified or certified eligible with a nationally accredited phlebotomy association
- Customer Service skills
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.