Title: Laboratory Manager
Job Location: Silver Spring MD
We are seeking a Laboratory Manager for an anticipated procurement to support research programs and projects at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). Availability of this position is contingent upon contract award.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is committed to providing world-class technical, management, and scientific support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized for driving projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Acts as an assistant to department chief in managing overseas projects by filing and tracking required travel paperwork with the appropriate authorities, coordinating and tracking personnel movement during travel, coordinating overseas project supply, tracking and assisting in trip and progress reports.
- Serves as liaison between WRAIR-based and overseas components of collaborative research projects, providing continuity in project efforts (including material acquisition and movement, training, data collection, etc.).
- Performs and trains others within the team and in collaborating organizations on the specific molecular and microbiological methodologies (e.g. PCR, genotyping, sequencing) developed for funded projects.
- Manage daily laboratory operations for department laboratories, including organizing labs for safety and efficiency, ordering supplies, preparing laboratory materials to be sent or carried overseas for funded project efforts, and other tasks that need to be completed to assure progress on funded projects to meet timelines.
- Write SOPs and training materials needed for funded project objectives.
- Ensure all SOP and policy-related guidelines are adhered to in routine tasks and make recommendations for changes to existing strategies and practices.
- Maintain inventories of chemical substances and laboratory supplies and equipment, ensuring compliance with DoD and U.S Army policies.
- Support procedure, protocol, science plan, and grant proposal writing and submission.
- Writes and publishes articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals; prepares data for presentation at scientific meetings in accordance with WRAIR policy for Authorship of Manuscripts Sent to Scientific Journals.
- Provide expertise in appropriate scientific areas and work collaboratively to accomplish grant objectives.
- BS or Masters degree in a biological discipline with 5 or more years of experience in a biological research laboratory, and versed in the basic principles of sterile microbiological and tissue culture technique, molecular biology techniques and the knowledge of the operation of basic laboratory equipment and lab management.
- Must have previous experience managing multiple aspects of laboratory operations (e.g. logistics, safety, etc.), preferably in the US Government.
- Must have at least two years of laboratory experience with bacteriophage assays and methodologies and working with infectious/pathogenic bacteria.
- Must have experience in BSL-3 environments and the ability to conduct safe work in this laboratory environment.
- Must have experience with US Government and DoD overseas travel approval requirements and in meeting reporting requirements for DoD funding agencies including DTRA.
- Must maintain a laboratory notebook compliant with standards of laboratory work (replicability) and with WRAIR/Army regulations.
- Must have some previous experience in laboratory molecular diagnostics and in applications of statistics to biological research.
- Must be willing to travel up to two weeks per month for spans of as long as five months at a time.
- Work may involve long periods of travel, standing and handling some hazardous chemicals and/or hazardous biological material.
- US Citizenship.
- Place of Performance: Silver Spring MD
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
- Military Leave
- On Site Cafeteria
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Gym Memberships
- Professional Development
- Life Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid sick days
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Retirement / Pension Plans