Laborers (Overnight Hours)
Join the efforts to improve and maintain the facilities at the historical Howard University. A university that has educated students from diverse backgrounds since 1867.
Thompson Facilities Services has an immediate opportunity for several laborers. This is an overnight position. Candidates must want to work from 9 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
Full benefits, including medical, dental, paid vacation and sick leave are just a few of the benefits that you will receive through the Union while employed with Thompson Facilities Services at Howard University.
We only hire the best candidates who take pride in their work and want to contribute to the success of Howard. This position is responsible for providing laborer, grounds, housekeeping, and transportation duties for the campus.
Here’s the work you will perform…
• Clean assigned areas including dormitories, academic buildings, parking lots, and public ground areas
• Operate machinery as trained, including Thompson Facilities Services maintained campus vehicles
• Drive equipment to shops for repairs, and general servicing as requested
• Perform setup and cleanup tasks at work sites on and about the campus
• Direct traffic when necessary to ensure safety of pedestrians, motorists and work crew
• Utilize proper cleaning methods and chemicals to ensure proper and efficient sanitary conditions. Clean restrooms, common areas, vacuum, dust, etc.
• Provide labor support as needed for specialty crews such as transportation moving functions, and trash removal
• Perform general clean up and campus ground maintenance services as required
• Perform miscellaneous housekeeping and custodian job duties
The best candidates will meet these requirements:
• High school diploma or GED preferred
• 2+ years’ housekeeping/custodian experience in a university setting preferred
• Valid driver’s license from state of residence
• Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with extreme weather fluctuations
• Ability to read and write English to understand Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) information
• Ability to climb heights and conduct work with proper safety restraints
• Ability to lift heavy loads up to 50 lbs. and navigate the campus terrain during moving assignments
You will be rewarded with a competitive hourly rate of $13.60, good benefits package, and the honor of working at the premier historically black college or university (HBCU) in the country. If you are ready to join our team, please apply now.