This position is primarily responsible for directing divisional land acquisition activities, specifically the LAR process, by identifying and purchasing new land development and homebuilding opportunities through process of negotiating purchase and sale agreements, understanding land use planning and governmental entitlements, knowing physical constraints of site design and land development and assisting in product design. Cultivating continual professional relationships for purpose of expanding and obtaining new land acquisition opportunities through communication and negotiation with various types of individuals and groups including landowners and developers, financial institutions, land brokers, consultants, government officials, community members, as well as divisional and Corporate management staff.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and administers land acquisition goals, objectives and strategies.
- Identifies new residential project opportunities and sites.
- Researches and defines specific target market areas.
- Conducts negotiations with land sellers.
- Formulates initial market research.
- Manages preparation of internal Land Acquisition Request packages.
- Performs and manages various due diligence activities and investigations of site opportunities and constraints.
- Prepares and manages land acquisition due diligence schedules.
- Directs preparation of legal documentation and land purchase contracts.
- Oversees land escrow closing process.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for less experienced Associates.
- Coordinates and maintains relationships with City and County officials, council people and politicians for approvals on land purchases and processing.
- May also manage forward planning staff to obtain building permits, tentative and final maps.
Education & Experience
- College graduate, with degree in engineering, architecture, construction or planning required.
- At least 5 years of experience working in positions of increasing responsibility related to land acquisition such as land brokerage, market research, financial analysis, forward planning, real estate development, construction project management.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong leadership, project management, and budgeting skills required
- Ability to recognize and resolve problems.
- Relationship building and networking
- Organizational skills; detail oriented.
- Project management
- Possess good judgement and common sense.
- Ability to work and partner across departments and functional groups to achieve goals
- Ability to navigate all stages of the Land Acquisition process
Technical Knowledge & Experience
- Microsoft Office
- Understanding of and ability to negotiate complex legal documents
- Proficient in Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Project Management Experience required
Working in a typical office environment
- May require travel to land or construction sites where temperature, weather and noise may vary; may
encounter electrical, dust, poor ventilation, dangerous machinery and moving objects and toxic conditions.