Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE:BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical and management services to support the U.S. government in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry. With approximately 6,250 employees, BWXT has eleven (11) major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, BWXT joint ventures provide management and operations at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
We are currently seeking qualified applicants to fill large machining center positions at our facility in Barberton, Ohio. Successful applicants will be able to set up and operate large, CNC machining centers with both horizontal and vertical machining capabilities, as well as any associated auxiliary equipment. Machining operations will include contour turning and milling, trepanning, boring, drilling, tapping, thread milling, milling with right angle attachments and contour turning with facing head attachments.
- Performs multi-axis machining operations with high precision to operate and maintain machine, right angle heads, facing heads, inspection probe, jib crane, tool attachments, all types of fixtures, any and all set-up equipment, tool setter, tool holders, precision measuring instruments, power tools and any hand tools necessary for the fulfillment of job duties.
- Works with programmer to develop and test run programs. Proof reads programs and notifies supervisor/programmer of potential problems.
- Positions and secures work piece and fixtures on table.
- Obtains drawings and tools from the crib and verifies the tools are correct for the application and matches the tools called for in the program(s).
- Assembles tooling as required.
- Uses higher math and engineering theories to work with tooling engineers to devise optimum tooling design and practices.
- Directs and assists crane operator with the rigging and moving of parts to load and unload machine.
- Performs final inspection of features using both the inspection probe and precision measuring equipment.
- Cleans and deburrs job as necessary. Attaches seals and protective covers as required.
- Performs minor maintenance on machine, attachments, and tooling as required.
- Keeps equipment and work area clean and orderly.
- Verifies identity and physical characteristics of materials as required.
- Maintains necessary records and completes process documentation and any other production records as required. Identifies equipment and product as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency required.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ relevant experience performing precision machining functions on large machines is desired. Journeyman level machinist designation or equivalent is preferred.
- Must be willing to work any shift.
- Must be proficient with CNC controls, including G and M coded commands.
- Must be able to edit or modify programs as necessary. Must be able to write minor programs.
- Must have a working knowledge of feeds and speeds for all types of material.
- Must be able to work to .000" tolerance and microfinish 16 when necessary.
- Must demonstrate ability to read and interpret geometric tolerancing per ANSI Y14.5
- Ability to demonstrate use of various measuring instruments, including dial bore gages, indicator snap gages, verniers, .0001 micrometers, and other specialty gaging equipment
- Possess skills necessary to maintain accurate documentation and the ability to follow complicated procedures and document accordingly.
- Must pass all pre-employment processes, to include skills assessments and mechanical comprehension testing, background check, drug screen, and physical examination.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required communicate verbally and with written information; to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and use ladders inside and outside of parts being machined. The employee is occasionally required to lift and move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Please note: Applicants will be considered for multiple openings and must be willing to work any shift if hired. Pay for this position is $30.205 per hour and is complimented by a generous benefits package.
BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other category protected by federal, state, and/or local law.