Job Summary: The Law Librarian is responsible for the management of the Austin, Houston, and Dallas office law libraries. This position oversees all library services, including online research, collection development, acquisitions, cataloging, accounting, circulation, and inter-library loan. The librarian also assists in the orientation and legal research training of attorneys and paralegals, assists with research projects for attorneys and the Chief Marketing Officer, and oversees the development and implementation of the intranet.
McGinnis Lochridge is a Texas-based firm providing quality legal services for more than 90 years. We work with individuals, small and medium-sized businesses, large enterprises, and multinational Fortune 500 corporations in more than 20 practice areas. From our offices in Austin, Dallas, and Houston, we represent clients throughout Texas and the U.S. McGinnis Lochridge offers competitive salary, paid training, parking allowance, full benefits, 401(k), profit sharing plan, paid leave time, and business casual work environment. Visit www.mcginnislaw.com for more information.
- Develop information services that support the practice areas of the firm; identify emerging information needs and assess existing information resources
- Take the initiative to supply electronic information directly to clients
- Provide print-based and electronic research and reference services; perform online database searches using LexisNexis, the Internet, and other online services
- Identify relevant resources through contact with local, national, and international information centers, libraries, government agencies, and private associations
- Screen and review new information products and apply professional bibliographic knowledge to collection development
- Administer computer-assisted legal and nonlegal research systems; provide user support for the library’s research applications including problem solving, individual training, and presentation of training seminars and coordination with vendors as needed
- Oversee management of library databases for the firm, and be actively involved in evaluating, selecting, and implementing a new library control software
- Oversee the firm’s intranet content and maintenance.
- Assist in orientation and legal research training of legal staff; educate new attorneys, paralegals, and summer associates about the library’s information resources; promote library services and collections to legal staff members
- Maintain financial controls over library expenditures; coordinate payments to library vendors and suppliers; handle negotiations for vendor contracts
- Assist in space planning and long-range planning efforts that involve library collections, staff levels, and equipment
- Contribute to local and national professional organizational activities; attend seminars, workshops, and other educational programs
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an accredited school
- Minimum of 6 years’ prior work experience in a similar role with significant law library management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, and other relevant technology areas
- Able to manage all functions of the library with minimal supervision; set and carry out goals
- Able to perform intricate, online research; work under pressure and deadlines; analyze and follow complex instructions
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Professional, polite, and positive client-centric attitude; able to work with a full range of office staff, attorneys, outside counsel, and clients
- Proven ability to adapt to a continually changing technological environment
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Able to establish priorities and recognize and solve problems; able to make decisions and plans
- Experience in employee supervision and training would be a plus
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume. A cover letter (including salary expectation) is required, and applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. McGinnis Lochridge is an equal employment opportunity employer.