LEAD BUILDING ENGINEER - COMMERCIAL OFFICE SILVER SPRING, MARYLAND
Avison Young currently has a great opportunity for a Commercial Building Engineer for our properties located in Silver Spring, Maryland and Washington, DC.
As the Lead Building Engineer, the position will take responsibility for maintaining the integrity of all building systems and operate the building in an efficient manner; supervise work in the field and perform routine maintenance and repairs of all HVAC, boiler, heating, refrigeration, water, and energy systems to ensure the effective operation of the facility.
Assist in and conduct the daily operations and maintenance of plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and general maintenance requirements of buildings
- Respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, etc.) and customer concerns
- Responds to customer service requests, delegating tasks when appropriate.
- Conducts daily reviews of grounds upkeep, lighting, ceiling tiles, housekeeping and building storage/mechanical areas and operating equipment. Identifies deficiencies and implements corrective action as necessary.
- Performs scheduled site inspections on assigned properties specifically on alarm/safety/fire extinguisher and equipment and operating HVAC equipment.
- Maintains building certificates for elevators, boiler/pressure vessel, fire/life safety documents.
- Acts as a liaison for management when dealing with tenants and staff.
- Assists and monitors Tenant Build-Out Projects.
- Coordinate maintenance efforts with outside contractors and technicians
- Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency and company directives as related to building operations and practice safe work habits
- Ensure management team is informed of current building operations
- Regularly scheduled Emergency On-Call Rotations of Portfolio
- High School diploma or GED; some college a plus
- 3-5+ years of related experience in a commercial property
- CFC certification required
- Appropriate license as may be required by jurisdiction, i.e. Journeyman or Master Electrician License or
- HVAC Certificates of Training
- Graduate of apprentice program or trade school
- Possess and maintain a valid driver's license and good driving record with periodic driving record checks
- General handyman experience.
- Experience with VAV systems, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; must be dependable and possess good time management skills
- Excellent management skills and ability to work with all levels of employees, tenants and vendors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be dependable and possess good time management skills.
- May be only maintenance staff member on duty during certain shifts; may be required to work extended periods of time without relief when responding to priority/emergency situations (including overtime type assignments); may require shift work and/or on call duties
- The qualified candidate will be detail oriented, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, extremely professional, and customer service oriented
- Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations, and the ability to stoop, stand, climb, frequently lift and manipulate a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment (pumps, tools, ladders).
- Regularly required to crouch and reach to install/move equipment by bending forward at the waist or by bending legs and spine
- Involves movement between departments, floors, and properties to facilitate work; both indoors and outdoors.
- Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations, and the ability to lift and manipulate weights of 75 - 100 pounds. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors.
Avison Young rewards hard work with a comprehensive compensation program including competitive wages and a robust benefits package, 401(k), paid time off and more! Eligibility for our benefits is on the date of hire.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations via Career Builder, or submit via email, fax or regular mail:
Avison Young - Human Resources
11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 200
Rockville, Maryland 20852
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no calls from recruiters.
Avison Young subscribes to the spirit and laws regarding Equal Employment Opportunity. Additionally, Avison Young operates in accordance with a Drug Free Workplace and conducts drug and alcohol tests.
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
Avison Young practices as an equal opportunity employer in all services locations around the world. We are committed to building and maintaining a workforce diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity. The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law. For those requiring assistance with disabilities, Information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.