A Lead Technician is a working “Lead” member of a project team. The Lead Tech will be responsible for communicating effectively to coordinate operations and oversee workers at job sites. As the point of reference for both workers and supervisors, you will be a key person for the completion of a project. You be working alongside your team of 3-5 members to productively and safely install cable pathway systems, fire-stop systems, various electronic components, and various cables.
- Installation of structured cabling systems including all aspects of the installation process.
- Reads and interprets all floorplans, drawings, and specifications.
- Properly sets up a variety of copper and fiber testers.
- Performs system testing and troubleshooting as required.
- Terminates, labels, tests, and troubleshoots optical fiber and copper installations.
- Excel in technical tasks
- Proactively leads a team of 3-5 Technicians/Installers to complete project tasks.
- Proactively oversee and lead job site organization and basic housekeeping maintenance.
- Coordinate tasks according to priorities and plans.
- Allocate general and daily responsibilities.
- Resolve problems when they arise and report progress to managers.
- Understands, adheres to, and promotes the Environmental, Health & Safety policies.
- Possess working knowledge of ANSI/TIA/EIA cabling standards and the National Electric Code.
- Adequately train Technicians and Installers to complete all the tasks and responsibilities of their positions.
- Assists in developing Technicians to complete all the tasks and responsibilities of a Lead Technician.
- Monitor job expenditures.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Maintain a satisfactory compliance with customer.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to understand and effectively explain every aspect of the structured cabling system including pathways, spaces, horizontal cabling, backbone copper, backbone fiber optic, cross and inter-connections, and testing. This includes understanding applicable codes, standards, and industry-best practices and the ability to differentiate between them and make recommendations.
- Ability to choose the correct tool and methodology for the given task; for themselves and can help other team members do the same.
- Ability to listen carefully to follow instructions
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning from senior team members
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- High attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work days, night, and weekends as project requires
- Self-motivated and excellent work ethic
- Demonstrated team work and versatility in integrating into multiple work environments.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Industry certifications are highly desirable
- In-house Certified Training Required (company provided)
- 2-5 years’ work experience in Structured Cabling
- Read, write, and understand English
- Able to distinguish colors
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel 90-95% of the time
- Probationary period of 90 days
- Individual must possess good oral & written communication skills.
- Individual must be able to pass a drug screening as well as meet background requirements.
Individual must be available to work variable hours.