As the multi-specialty group practice for the faculty of the University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Minnesota Physicians has more than 950 physicians and 1,600 health professionals, providing clinical care in over 100 specialty and sub-specialty areas. Our mission is three-fold: delivering exceptional patient care, advancing medicine through research, and training the next generation of health professionals.
The Lead Coding Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day operations of billing activities related to professional billing for the assigned specialty or individual Clinical Services Unit (CSU). This may include supervision of one or more coders; coordination with the Administrative Center Director (ACD) and/or other CSU staff providers; and any other patient financial services related functions for the specialty or CSU. This position also works with the Central Business Office (CBO) to coordinate and resolve any billing and reimbursement issues of the specialty or CSU. This person will also ensure accurate diagnoses, procedure codes and other specified data to ensure appropriate/optimal reimbursement for facility and/or professional charges utilizing information from medical records and following established methods and procedures. Independently communicates with Providers, Compliance and clinical personnel regarding proper coding and education.
Other job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides daily work direction and education to coding staff in specialty area as needed.
- Codes intermediate to complex diagnostic, Evaluation and Management, surgical and procedural services applying current billing and coding regulations and policies. May also include highly technical coding as well.
- Independently consults with Providers, nursing and ancillary personnel to provide detailed coding information and on-going education.
- Provides education to coding staff when needed.
- Monitor daily workflow to ensure timely charge capture and follow up.
- Researches and resolves problematic issues in a timely manner and provide on-going feedback to management and/or Providers.
- Completes daily Flowcast/Epic work files and task lists as assigned. Helps manage appeals process as needed.
- HS grad with current CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-A, RHIT and/or RHIA coding certification.
- Ability to interpret and understand medical content. Current knowledge of all coding, payer, and compliance requirements and regulations. Knowledge of appeals process.
- Certified coder, with increasing complex coding experience with intermediate to complex diagnostic services and procedures.
- 5+ years of experience in coding and/or with previous experience in revenue cycle, healthcare/clinical operations.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels of the organization and in both small and larger-sized settings.
- Demonstrated influencing and partnering skills; ability to build and facilitate relationships and all levels of the organization.
- Ability to drive results, coach and provide feedback, and be a positive influence to staff.
- Ability to use computer and medical billing systems; extensive knowledge of medical terminology.
- Strong analytical skills; able to identify and resolve problems or issues and provide positive solutions, both at an individual and team level. Has demonstrated ability to improve processes and work flows, ability to train and lead change within team.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized. Able to meet deadlines and achieve results, both at an individual and at a team level. Strong prioritization, demonstrated time management skills and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Flexible, self-motivated and self-directed; able to take direction.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
M Physicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of health care through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.