The Red Hat Legal team is looking for a Lead Commercial Attorney to join our commercial transactions team in Raleigh, NC. In this role, you'll interact with management and key business clients while you provide direct support to Red Hat’s sales teams in structuring and closing deals and defining legal strategies and handling escalations from our contracts specialists and other members of the Commercial Legal team negotiating contracts for our North America Commercial Sales teams. You may also be responsible for some people manager tasks. You’ll need to be able to assess legal risks while applying good legal and business judgment. You’ll also need to have excellent communication skills to interact with internal and external business clients while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, concise, and thorough manner. You will need to have experience negotiating contracts with an understanding of the practical business risks and needs of your client, a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing technology and business landscape. The legal challenges that we face are often unique, like developing and maintaining a framework for supporting a thriving business built on open source principles. You’ll help build and sustain a great technology company in a high-energy and demanding environment as part of Red Hat Legal.
- Manage complex commercial transactions including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating master services and software subscription agreements, professional services statements of work, and partner agreements for resellers, distributors, systems integrators, independent software vendors (ISVs), and cloud providers
- Support contracts specialists, attorneys, and other members of the Commercial Legal team on difficult transactions, with respect to customer negotiations and internal Red Hat relationships
- Build and strengthen relationships with North American sales leadership
- Perform data reporting on transactions and deal flow for the Commercial Legal Group
- Facilitate the primary relationship with Sales Operations and the Deal Desk team
- Work with Product, Finance, and Operations teams to develop negotiation strategies and resolve contractual issues
- Assist with the development of new Red Hat offerings and programs and contract templates
- Provide training regarding ethics and compliance to new hires across all Red Hat’s functions and provide targeted training on a regular basis to our go-to-market personnel
- Participate in compliance initiatives including training internal clients on legal and contracting policies or issues, including ethics and anti-corruption issues and partner onboarding
- J.D. from an ABA accredited, well-regarded law school with excellent academic credentials
- License to practice law in any U.S. state
- Combined 10+ years professional experience as an attorney in a law firm and in an in-house legal department engaged in complex contract negotiations, which may include responsibilities like drafting and negotiating commercial contracts related to software and technology licensing and professional services; we recognize that keys skills may also have been developed outside of the strict commercial context including experience with mergers and acquisitions, complex loan facilities, business process or information technology outsourcing relationships, private equity placements, joint ventures, strategic relationship agreements, etc.
- Substantial commercial transactional experience including extensive knowledge of contract law and experience drafting and negotiating contracts for software and technology including professional services related to such technologies
- Experience working with clients and structuring complex, high-value, multi-jurisdictional transactions
- Exceptional organization skills with the ability to manage simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills demonstrated through your work experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while maintaining a firm focus on problem solving
- Ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work, and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations
- Willingness to work with a variety of personalities and perform a key role as part of a regional and worldwide team
- Creative problem-solving skills with a focus on achieving results that benefit our business while recognizing client needs
- Positive, can-do attitude and sense of humor
- Proven record directly managing and developing personnel in a corporate legal department is a big plus
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver reliable and high-performing Linux, hybrid cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Red Hat helps customers integrate new and existing IT applications, develop cloud-native applications, standardize on our industry-leading operating system, and automate, secure, and manage complex environments. Award-winning support, training, and consulting services make Red Hat a trusted adviser to the Fortune 500. As a strategic partner to cloud providers, system integrators, application vendors, customers, and open source communities, Red Hat can help organizations prepare for the digital future.
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.