CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world’s best networking company by solving customers’ increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers’ trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
A Lead Data Scientist develops tools to collect, clean, analyze and manage the data used by strategic areas of the business. Employs techniques and theories drawn from mathematics, statistics, from the subdomains of machine learning, classification, cluster analysis, and data mining.
- Clearly communicates methods and conclusions with simple language and innovative visualizations to management and executives.
- Works effectively on a team as well as a self-driven individual to do research and develop cutting edge and effective solutions for the business.
- Provides expertise in analyzing and visualizing large, complex, and unique data sets.
- Creates new insights that will drive business growth and profitability in the short and long term.
- Deploys analytics code with a continuous integration environment incorporating version control, build servers, and test servers.
- Designs and implements programs and automation to collect, mash up, process and analyze distributed real-world data.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to understand complex business problems, build statistical models, and create predictive tools.
- Manages analytical projects and assists in program planning as well as the acquisition, retention and development of data science talent.
- 8+ years related experience.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Economics, Operations Research, Statistics or related discipline.
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases.
- Strong experience with tools for managing, analyzing, and visualizing large datasets.
- Programming experience with two or more of R, Python, Lisp, Clojure, Scala, Java, Perl, Mathematica and C++.
- Past success in extracurricular math/science activities or competitions is highly regarded.
- Creativity and persistence in locating, extracting and analyzing all relevant data.
- Problem solving versatility: making the best decisions possible given the data quality and time available.
- Strong analytical thinking and ability to quickly pick up new methods, tools and programming languages.
- Expertise with GIT, agile project management tools (Trello, JIRA, Rally, etc), documentation/markup expertise (Markdown, etc)
- Strong verbal, written and visualization communication skills relaying data science findings, problems, etc. to business users.
- Good working knowledge of PL/T-SQL.
- Expertise with econometric and machine learning methods for predictive analytics.
- Prior expertise with price elasticity of demand modeling and mathematical optimization methods.
- Culture of curiosity and perseverance in the face of messy data and complex business, information systems landscape.
- Significant experience with the SDLC, in particular as applied to automation of data science pipelines and development of analytic products.
- Prior experience coaching less tenured technical team members.
- Strong background with planning and management of data science projects as well as leading engagement of stakeholders and communication with non-technical SMEs and partners.
- Experience with the wireline telecommunications industry, notably common product technologies and marketing thereof.
Masters or Equivalent
Doctorate or Equivalent
Alternate Location: US-Arizona-Phoenix; US-Colorado-Broomfield; US-Colorado-Littleton; US-Florida-Apopka; US-Louisiana-Monroe; US-Oklahoma-Tulsa; US-Texas-Frisco
Requisition #: 218291
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.