We launched Lex Machina in 2011 for patent litigators and are now expanding Legal Analytics to all areas of the law with the help of LexisNexis, our parent company. Since being acquired in 2015, we have become one of the fastest growing businesses in LexisNexis. We have retained our start-up like culture and pace but are now backed with the stability of a big company.
The Lex Machina product provides Legal Analytics to companies and law firms, enabling them to craft successful litigation strategies, win cases, and close business. We are the pioneers of Legal Analytics and our award-winning product is used by global corporations such as Google, eBay, Yahoo!, IBM, and Nike, as well as most of the AmLaw 100 law firms like Wilson Sonsini, Fish & Richardson, Greenberg Traurig, and Fenwick & West.
In joining us you will help us answer: What really happens when companies and people end up in court?
A Typical Week
- You will write and deploy your own new code creating new interactive visualizations and fixing bugs
- You will mentor and meet one on one with developers to grow their skills and careers
- You will work with our legal experts to integrate new legal subjects and cases
- You will spend time learning about new technologies to make the product faster and easier to use
- You will collaborate with Natural Language Processing Engineers to decide how best to incorporate newly extracted information
- You will debug a distributed task management system and find out just what new things can go wrong with US Government archives
- Your code will be reviewed by other members of the engineering team, and you'll review their code too
- You have been building web applications professionally for at least 6+ years
- You think querying complex legal data using SQL databases and counting things could be fun
- You work well in a team-oriented organization due to your excellent communication skills and empathy
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, code academy, or work experience.
- Python expertise is preferred; Pyramid expertise is awesome (at least 1 year)
- PostgreSQL experience is great; SQLAlchemy understanding is fantastic (at least 6 months)
- Reviewable code samples or community participation
Compensation, Benefits, and Location
Competitive compensation and full benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with matching, short- and long-term disability insurance, tuition reimbursement, and more
This position is available in our Menlo Park, CA office headquarters, or in one of our engineering team clusters in Dallas TX, Denver CO, Sebastopol CA, or Singapore. Fully remote arrangements are possible
LexisNexis, a division of RELX Group, is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com
Back End Developer / Engineer