The Lead Medical Office Coordinator/Medical Assistant (Pediatrics Clinic) is responsible for providing support to physicians and staff in the areas of initiating patient intake, front desk, medical office and prescription responsibilities in a busy ambulatory setting.
In this key role, the Lead MOC/MA will also ensure efficient operations by providing excellent customer service to patients, family members, other staff members, and external parties and serves as the first line of contact for patients/families as they seek care and support within the Pediatric, Adolescent and Young Adult Section.
Front Desk Responsibilities
- Serves as ambassador for Joslin pediatrics, serving as the first line of contact for patients/families coming for visits and on the phone
- Helps recruit new patients/families into the pediatric, adolescent and young adult program at Joslin, helps perform outreach to pediatric practices
- Arranges scheduling of appointments: e.g., new appointments, follow-up MD appointments, education visits, consultations, etc.
- Schedule all outside appointments, consultations and tests.
- Helps the smooth running of the pediatric program under the leadership of the senior pediatric office coordinator
Medical Office Responsibilities
- Effectively manage the flow of medical information internally and externally
- Patiently act as liaison between patient and health care providers and external patient related providers
- Accurately follow guidelines to triage all incoming calls taking independent action where possible.
- Accurately enter information into automated registration and scheduling system
- Efficiently schedule ancillary diagnostic and consultative appointments as requested.
- Participate in issue-specific groups upon assignment. Report back any issues that affect or require a team decision.
- Perform other functions and duties to support the practice.
- Review faxes and process appropriately. Completing as much as you can before passing onto provider.
- Sort and process mail and patient letters.
- Complete all jobs in work tray.
- Answer all phones calls using name with professionalism, kindness, patience. Enter all information into Electronic Medical Record. Give patient expectation and ask “is that ok?”
- Complete all letter requisitions before sending to provider.
- Take clear, concise and complete phone messages with accurate tel #’s.
- Pick up and process fax prescription requests multiple times
- Check daily coverage for absent provider
- Check voicemail multiple times daily
- Call in prescriptions following protocol, including hard copies to pharmacy
- Fax or mail hard copy to patient or mail order companies
- Call patient if message on voicemail is not clear
- Follow appointment protocol; notify Section Head or Practice Mgr if pt refuses to schedule appointment
- Check to-do box multiple times daily
- Outstanding to-do’s (24+hrs) should be followed up with provider, or send to MOD if out. Notify Section Head or Practice Mgr if MD is not responding
Initiates patient intake process
- Cleans and prepares exam room for next patient prior to bringing patient in room.
- Greets patient by name and escorts to exam room; identifies self and explains role during visit...
- Interviews patient for medication history ensuring accuracy of medications and doses. Records if patient takes insulin, O.H.A. or is diet-controlled.
- Ask patient if prescriptions are needed for this visit, indicate in NextGen.
- Obtains height by inches/cm, weight, by pounds and kg, blood pressure/pulse, waist measurement and temperature if c/o illness.
- Assists patient with undressing.
- Performs POCAIC finger sticks and orders lab work as directed by physician.
- Recognizes low blood sugars below and administers standard treatment according to Clinic protocol
- Associates degree in a related field or equivalent work experience, certificate from a business school or program; preferable to have Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience years of experience in medical office/reception setting or other customer service oriented position with interest in pediatrics.
- Experience with automated medical record and registration/scheduling systems preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent customer service skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Fundraising, Marketing or other relevant fields, or equivalent work experience
A minimum of 4-7 years of leadership or major gift fundraising experience
Demonstrated success in soliciting $25,000+ major and/or planned gifts
Ability to write concise, logical, grammatically correct proposals and acknowledgements to maintain donor relationships and solicit major gifts
Ability to speak on a one-to-one basis to inform and engage prospects and donors as part of Moves Management cycle: This role requires some travel to regional major gift meetings and one-on-one meetings with donors and prospects
Joslin is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization and we strongly encourage diverse applicants.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
- Employee Events
- Employee Referral Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Gym Memberships
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision