Requisition ID: 19790
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the World's Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Respect, integrity, diversity and inclusion, teamwork and the spirit of winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it's like to be part of the world's leading major home appliance company.
We are looking for a talented software leader to be part of advanced software development team within the Global Electronics organization at Whirlpool. Whirlpool Corporation is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. You will be part of the global team that is responsible for developing software for all of Whirlpool products. This position will be located in San Jose/San Francisco Bay area in California.
The role involves development of embedded software platform(s) that will drive innovation for Whirlpool Smart Appliances across the full range of products developed by Whirlpool. These software platforms range from running RTOS at the low-end to running Embedded Android at the high-end. These software platforms provide IoT/connectivity features, middleware to control appliance, framework for running machine learning models, and user-interface framework to allow development of product-specific user-interfaces.
The candidate will be a software expert who will drive product innovation at scale.
- Architect, design and develop software platforms using Android, Linux or RTOS environments to support rapid innovation and product development
- Lead the development of various software components that include interfacing to appliance control, appliance middleware, application layer networking protocols, device drivers, computer vision, deep learning inference middleware, GUI middleware, etc.
- Working with partners to develop and deliver Android, Linux, or RTOS BSP including board-bringup, hardware debugging, and optimizing low-level OS features
- Be the expert in Linux and Android System Software and especially develop expertise in Android's wireless and networking architecture, security architecture, low-power, over-the-air upgrades, and development tools
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in Linux and/or Android systems and guide the teams on how the developments impact our software development and roadmaps
- Provide technical leadership and direction for team members.
- Investigate and apply emerging technologies and new design approaches.
- Develop and implement sound software development practices
- Work in an Agile environment.
- Bachelor's Degree or in lieu of a degree, at least 10 years of experience in computer science, software development or software engineering
- 5+ years of experience in computer science, software development or software engineering.
- Experience working in Linux and/or Android OS including work in one or major subsystems within the OS
- Experience working with the Linux open-source community is highly desired
- Experience working within the Android development environment including with Android AOSP and Android NDK.
- Excellent problem-solving skills especially debugging of complex software systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for applying latest technologies into the development of innovative features and products
- A collaborative attitude and strong desire to succeed as part of the team
- Self-motivated and a strong passion for learning
- Deep understanding of full product development lifecycle
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
Nearest Major Market: Sacramento
Job Segment: Embedded, Informatics, Developer, Electronics Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Technology, Engineering