Are you looking to apply your experience with VMware and Linux?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced, customer focused, and innovative organization?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Lead Systems Administrator within the Research Exploratory Development Department at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) to provide oversight, maintenance, and implementation relating to a High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster and the Departments networking environments.
• Your primary responsibility will be to lead the day-to-day operations of the HPC cluster and unclassified network environments. Provide system administration focused on Linux-based clusters in an unclassified environment. Independently identify and solve technical issues relating to high performance computing, network configurations, data services/management, and VMware. Configure, install, and maintain Linux computer systems. Ensure compliance based on configuration requirements such as those found in NIST 800.53. Research, diagnose and resolve complex computer system software and hardware issues as they arise. Perform and analyze weekly audits for nonstandard events. Maintain a backup solution and ensure a cohesive disaster recovery plan. Collaborate closely with other Systems Administrators, management, and users to ensure the cluster and network environments are performing optimally. Provide recommendations and innovative solutions to improve the HPC and networking within the Department.
• You will develop scripts and identify applications that will improve operations, enable increased automation, and allow for efficient resolution of issues.
• You will also be a part of the Information Technology team to provide support, as needed, to classified systems environments as well as serve as the subject matter expert for any HPC, Linux, or networking needs.
• You will also contribute as part of the systems administrator team assist with the REDD help desk support in addressing user requests, Department audio visual technology troubleshooting, and participate in team efforts to ensure systems and networks meet DFARS, NIST, and other policy requirements.
You meet our minimum qualifications if you have...
• A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or other technical related discipline and 5 years of related experience in a computer science discipline.
• Experience with High Performance Computing (HPC) and cluster management concepts and technologies, such as Univa Grid Engine, Slurm Workload Manager, Bright Computing, storage management as well as Nvidia parallel processing.
• Intermediate experience with VMWare virtualization products (vCenter, ESXi, and Horizon) that includes back-end administration.
• General mass storage administration and management experience. Network and storage engineering concepts.
• Database administration experience.
• Advanced Linux skills; Linux systems administration experience in one or more of the following: RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu.
• Current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ or CISSP), or ability to obtain DoD 8570 certification within 6 months of employment required.
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills, and the understanding of customer focus.
• Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
• Intermediate experience programming / scripting languages such as Python and Java.
• Amazon Web Services expertise
• Experience with mass storage management, and platforms, such as NetApp, Dell EMC, and HPC Schedulers.
• Familiarity with enterprise IT architecture platforms, such as Dell and Cisco
• Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA) certified
• Working knowledge of windows operating systems.
• Working knowledge of AMX, Crestron or other audio visual technology
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.