Title: Early Childhood Lead TeacherClassification: Exempt
Department: Primary School Status: Full-Time, Ten Month
School Day: 7:15 am – 3:30 pm Reports to: Preschool Director
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-sex elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries; including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-sex classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the Schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
It is central to the Sacred Heart mission that children feel nurtured in an environment that is built on respect, trust, and love while focusing on each child’s highest potential. Parents can feel a sense of comfort and confidence that their child will be nurtured and cognitively enriched in the learning environment. Our Sacred Heart Preschool should be thought of as a home away from home. Preschool educators and staff members strive to develop a respectful and compassionate relationship with our Sacred Heart families (students, parents, grandparents, and child care providers) by exploring each family’s unique perspective and connection to the Sacred Heart mission. Collaborative trust is essential and is earned as these relationships grow in breadth and depth.
Sacred Heart Schools is seeking a Early Childhood Lead Teacher whose chief responsibility will be to work within the scope of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education to educate three, four, and/or five-year-old children responsible for the academic, social-emotional growth and development in a multi-disciplinary setting.
Essential Job Functions:
As a member of the Primary School faculty, the Lead Teacher will:
- Develop weekly lesson plans in accordance with the current preschool curriculum, incorporating D.A.P. (Developmentally Appropriate Practice) and the ISELS (Illinois State Early Learning Standards) as well as addressing the individual needs of each child.
- Provide a developmentally appropriate classroom environment that reflects the children’s learning and growth
- Work as an active and collaborative member of teacher teams and other primary school faculty members
- Perform ongoing developmental evaluations of children
- Implement developmentally appropriate assessments to evaluate student outcomes in all domains
- Prepare developmental Growth Reports that reflect the children’s progress for parents
- Conduct Parent-Teacher Conferences that focus on children’s developmental progress, needs, and interests
- Maintain up to date individual child development profile and other records as needed
- Assist the children in transition and orientation of the classroom with parents
- Foster a positive parent/school connection with families
- Ensure that each family receives an opportunity to build strong relationships and experience clear communication with teaching staff
- Maintain ongoing, open communication with parents
- Demonstrate cultural competency and respect for the child’s background by incorporating the family values and beliefs into the program where appropriate
- Serve as a member of a multi-disciplinary intervention/prevention team within the Primary School as part of the Student Support Team
A Successful Candidate will:
- Be highly motivated, ethical, and eager to learn in a collaborative setting
- Have excellent communication skills with students’ best interests at the forefront
- Have experience in implementing project-based learning activities
- Have experience teaching in a differentiated environment
- Have a declared passion for children and a willingness to help provide quality early learning experiences for young children to promote their overall developmental well-being
- A warm and welcoming personality, comfortable with a diverse school population of children, staff, and families
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education required
- Preschool Teaching Experience is preferred
- Understands developmental stages of three and four-year-old children and is effective with supporting their social and emotional development
- Experience developing and delivering age appropriate curriculum and tracking children's progress
- Exceptional classroom and time management skills that focus on children’s best interests and goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in another language is a plus, but not required
Apply directly at the School's website (www.shschicago.org) in the Career Opportunities section, submitting a cover letter and resume.
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate.