Who we are
Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first commercial space line. We are a publicly listed, vertically integrated aerospace and space travel company, pioneering human spaceflight for private individuals and researchers, as well as a manufacturer of advanced air and space vehicles. Virgin Galactic is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism, developing a spaceflight system designed to offer customers a unique and transformative experience. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen - apply today!
Who You AreVirgin Galactic is seeking first rate qualified composites shop Lead with experience in composite aircraft production. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. The first task of this role will be to quickly learn and understand the unique bonding and assembly processes used in the production of these aircraft. The lead in this position will help refine and improve the production processes, equipment, and tools in order to create an efficient, organized, and lean factory. After production operations begin, the lead will work hands on along with shop floor personnel to produce top quality aircraft and spaceships and contribute to process improvement using lean processes and tools. This role is on our weekend shift schedule, Friday-Sunday 5am-6pm.
- Day-to-day oversight of shop floor personnel
- Assigning daily tasks to shop personnel as required to meet daily milestones
- Work closely with production planner to forecast completion dates and estimate work package durations
- Encourage and provide development and training opportunities for shop personnel through excellent coaching and leadership skills
- Hands‐on composites manufacturing
- Composites material handling: cutting, layup, weighing, measuring, bagging, etc.
- Assembly: bond prep via hand sanding, dry fitting components, hand working parts to fit, hand trimming, wet layup, applying adhesives, and fixturing/locating structure
- Computer related responsibilities
- Working with ERP system to manage material and product review process
- Educate workforce on proper use of ERP/MRP system
- Inputting data and inspection results
- Requires the ability follow and document complex processes
What you bring
- Hands on experience in a precision yet manual manufacturing setting
- 5 or more years of experience with composites and/or aircraft fabrication and assembly
- Relevant experience as a department lead
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing philosophies and tools a plus
- Experience with manufacturing based ERP systems a plus
ITAR RequirementsTo conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.