JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at http://www.jpmorganchase.com/.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams, businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Consumer Banking Shared Services Legal Team, which provides dedicated legal support to various operational areas that handle legal papers associated with guardianship and deceased customer accounts, fulfillment of third-party subpoenas and asset-based orders, processing federal benefits reclamations and state-wide reporting of unclaimed property, as well as areas that support branch services such as notary and safe deposit boxes. The role will require a working understanding of each of the Firm’s lines of business and applicable statutes and rules. Candidates should be able to interact with business and litigation partners, outside counsel, and law enforcement and government agencies. The successful candidate will routinely work with legal and non-legal staff to coordinate responses in a fast paced and high volume environment. Candidates must have a proven record of providing sound and practical legal counsel in complex situations and the ability to influence others to implement that advice.
The preferred location for the position is Columbus, Ohio. Secondary location: Plano, Texas.
The selected applicant must be able to:
Develop subject matter expertise in assigned areas and provide strategic and practical legal advice and support various operational areas that handle matters involving asset-based orders, federal benefits reclamations, deceased customer account processing, guardianship issues, notary questions and practices, safe deposit box issues, subpoena handling and compliance and unclaimed property issues;
Collaborate with other functional partners to ensure appropriate awareness of issues as they arise and assist in resolving matters and driving forward initiatives
Advise and collaborate with colleagues across the Legal and Compliance Departments
Handle escalated matters from the various operational areas, including areas that have firm-wide or cross-line of business coverage
Monitor and advise business partners and legal colleagues on relevant legislative and regulatory changes
Partner with control and oversight groups to create and maintain best practices for controls in this area
- Manage external counsel
- JD, admitted to practice in and member of the bar in good standing in the state in which the candidate will practice. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
5+ years of legal experience post JD in a large consumer banking organization, law firm, or equivalent, as well as relevant experience in government, law enforcement or a regulatory agency, representing such organizations with a demonstrated record of increasing responsibility
- Both civil and criminal litigation experience preferred
- Strong team player with a natural ability to think and act collaboratively with legal and non-legal staff across groups and functions
Strong decision-making skills, combined with effective time management and ability to manage daily work along with complex projects/initiatives and multitask successfully in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical skills and judgment, including the ability to interpret, explain and apply statutes and regulations
- Excellent oral and written communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to foster strong relationships; partnering with other lawyers, control partners, operations and business people at all levels to achieve the best result
- Ability to see past the question and understand greater impacts or risks
- Strong understanding of the rules of civil and criminal procedure
- Knowledge and understanding of banking products and services and the relevant core banking regulations and regulatory framework for a large banking organization such as JPMorgan Chase preferred
- Experience with digital, electronic and mobile banking and transactions is preferred
- Non-English language skills preferred
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
JPMorgan Chase offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package.