JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase is responsible for the provision of legal services to the corporation and is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the firm’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas and for the lines of business and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the legal teams in a timely manner.
An attorney with 5-7 years of experience is needed to provide legal support to JPMorgan’s Custody & Fund Services business. J.P. Morgan Custody & Fund Services is a global leader providing solutions and helping institutional investors optimize efficiency, mitigate risk and enhance revenue through trust, custody and asset servicing in more than 100 markets.
The attorney will work closely with Custody & Fund Services on product development, complex business transactions, implementation of new regulatory requirements and day-to-day business support including contract drafting and negotiation. The position entails extensive, independent contact with, and support of, senior business personnel within Custody & Fund Services and significant opportunity for career development.
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
This position is located in Chicago.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE:
- Providing legal guidance and expertise to the Custody & Fund Services business teams including general advice and negotiation and drafting of transaction documentation and contracts. Providing legal guidance and support to other segment teams as needed.
- Providing legal support to the Collateral Management, Trust, Custody and Fund Services product teams.
- Working with the business and industry groups to assess and implement new regulatory requirements.
- Reviewing regulatory disclosures and marketing materials.
- Assessing legal risk, advising on such risk and reviewing policies and procedures and process changes to mitigate risk.
- Participating in business and functional teams and committees to provide legal expertise as needed.
- Participating in industry advocacy groups and legislative lobbying efforts as needed.
The successful candidate will have the following personal attributes:
- Ability to understand the business needs and partner with the business and controls partners to create solutions;
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Pragmatic with excellent business sense;
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk;
- Ability to interact effectively with clients;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Strong drafting skills;
- Ability to think outside the box and focus on key points; and
- Ability to work independently, manage complex projects and multitask successfully in fast-paced and complex business environment.
- Background in providing legal services to operationally intensive businesses is preferred.
- 5-7 years experience with a major law firm (or equivalent in-house experience).
- JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.