DEFINITION OF POSITION:
Legal Counsel drafts, reviews and negotiates a wide range of contracts (which may include: provider agreements, employee education and relocation agreements, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, and various vendor services agreements and master agreements). In addition, this position will draft, review and provide input regarding corporation policies, such as informed consent forms and privacy documents.
Legal Counsel will serve as an internal legal resource to the Quality, Risk Management, Compliance, Human Resources, Provider Services, and Medical Staff Services (which may include: credentialing and peer review).
Legal Counsel will advise and troubleshoot on existing agreements and operational arrangements and identify and define operational and legal risks and be able to communicate those risks to appropriate internal decision-makers for discussion and resolution.
Legal Counsel will interact with internal clients effectively to address legal and business questions and coordinate specialized legal needs with external law firms (which may include: peer review, compliance, and labor law) and handle miscellaneous legal tasks on an as needed basis.
Legal Counsel works collaboratively with the CEO, President’s Council and other members of the Administrative team and reports directly to the Senior Director of Human Resources
- BS/BA degree
- JD degree required and must be admitted to practice in Oregon.
- 3-5 years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or in-house legal environment in the health care industry-preferred
- Contract drafting and evaluation experience required.
- Experience working in a Union environment-preferred
- Possesses clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, and must have excellent interpersonal communication skills. Also requires strong computer skills [e.g., Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.),
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with the ability to re-prioritize on short time frames.
- Acts responsibly and conscientiously.
- Works under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Works independently and in a team environment.
- Dedicated to quality, reliability, and highest professional standards in all work tasks.
- Must be a self-starter and quick learner.
- Must have good judgment.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implements organizational or team objectives and interprets company policies.
- Helps guide the successful completion and assessment of contracts and acts as counsel to Human Resources, compliance, quality etc.
- Aids in the development of technical and/or business solutions to complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments independently, with demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate a team toward organizational objectives.
- Physical requirements often require prolonged sitting, some bending, stopping and stretching. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and sight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate information. Requires ability to occasionally lift and carry moderate weight boxes up to 30 pounds.