Summer 2019 Legal Intern Houston
Department: Legal Services
Location: Houston, Texas
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
About the position:
KIND's Houston field office is looking for a legal intern for Summer 2019 to assist us in providing pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children in immigration court proceedings. The position will be unpaid, but we are happy to assist you with externship credit, work-study, or securing funding from external sources.
Interested applicants must be:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited JD or LLM program
- Fluent in Spanish & English
- Exceptional academic credentials, strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Experience in immigration and family law strongly preferred
- Experience working with children and survivors of trauma preferred
- Passionate about issues affecting unaccompanied immigrant children
- Must be able to use own laptop during the internship
Duties: Legal interns will assist us in the following:
- Assisting with In-House Direct Representation: Assist in the preparation of cases represented by in-house KIND attorneys, including asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status petitions and state court filings
- Legal Screening: Assist with the initial screening of unaccompanied minor children; communicate with child clients, adult sponsors, and other agencies.
- Legal Research: Research current trends in immigration law and family law, country conditions, and other federal laws to assist in case preparation. Assisting with motions, affidavits, briefs, and memoranda of law.
- Case Management: Update case summaries, track important court dates and deadlines, process referrals and communicate with clients.
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted through our webpage at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.