General Position Summary:
The Paralegal II may perform complex paralegal duties requiring a high degree of knowledge of legal concepts, issues and research, which, in his or her absence, would be performed by an Attorney. Assists in the management and conduct of the analysis of policy issues, proposed tribal, state or federal legislation, or other items of special concern to the PME Legal Department, Port Madison Enterprises Executives, or the Port Madison Enterprises Board of Directors. The PME General Counsel will evaluate job performance.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Analyze and summarize complex legal issues
- Under the supervision of the PME General Counsel, complete research and writing necessary for the preparation of advice and recommendations to the PME Board of Directors, Executives, Departments, and staff
- Under the supervision of the PME General Counsel, complete research and writing necessary for the development of resolutions, agreements, grants, policies, procedures, and protocols for Port Madison Enterprises
- Monitor proposed or pending changes in federal, tribal and state programs, laws, rules, regulations, eligibility criteria, etc in terms of potential impact to PME and the Suquamish Tribe
- Draft legal documents such as resolutions and contracts;
- Prepare reports and correspondence related to assigned work
- Participate in any and all projects of the PME's Legal Department as assigned by the PME General Counsel
- Attend meetings and trainings as directed and approved by the PME General Counsel
- Continue professional development, including training in the areas of Indian law, or other issues relevant to his or her job duties;
- Establish and maintain an effective system of communication throughout Port Madison Enterprises and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain filing and files on PME legal matters
- Maintain confidentiality of all records, materials and communications concerning PME and the Suquamish Tribe
- Assist PME General Counsel with preparation of department quarterly reports and department budget
- Assist PME General Counsel with training Paralegal I and other Legal Department staff
- Perform various support functions for the PME Board of Directors as required or assigned by the PME General Counsel
- Perform all other duties as required or assigned by the PME General Counsel
Ability to lift 50 lbs. while standing, twisting, or bending. Must be able to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time. Manual and finger dexterity for operation of computer and routine paperwork.
Work is primarily performed in an indoor office setting for eight hours per day, five days per week with frequent sitting and occasional standing and walking. Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines. Frequently necessary to work beyond normal office hours for evening and weekend meetings or projects. Business travel within the state and to other states may be required. Necessary aptitude include understanding instructions; reason to make judgments; numeric aptitude; problem solving and analytic abilities; initiative, ingenuity and imagination; memory and concentration.