A litigation legal secretary assists lawyers and other legal personnel with regard to various administrative details; coordinates and maintains effective office procedures and efficient work flow; follows policy and procedures set by the Firm; establishes and maintains harmonious working relationships with all personnel, clients, vendors and guests of the Firm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Types, formats, edits and finalizes documents, including correspondence, memoranda, briefs, motions, charts, pleadings, etc., in accordance with the Firm's document formatting standards, using a PC with a word processing package and other Firm software.
- Organizes clerical functions and work flow, including court filings and transactions.
- Enters, proofreads for accuracy and posts lawyers' time diaries on a daily basis (as received from assignments).
- Coordinates travel arrangements, including air, hotel and car for lawyers and clients. Processes lawyers' travel expenses.
- Proofreads all documents, correspondence, etc., to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar, punctuation and syntax. Checks to ensure accuracy of jobs sent to duplicating service.
- Receives, screens and transmits telephone calls, conference calls and messages to lawyers, clients and staff.
- Promptly processes incoming and outgoing mail and distributes upon receipt.
- Coordinates conferences, meetings and appointments for lawyers and clients. Schedules conference rooms and food service.
- Maintains the calendar of meetings and business trips for assignments. Apprises assigned lawyers of their schedules in advance of their commitments.
- Coordinates the prompt production, processing and delivery of assignments' work products through the document processing center, duplicating, messenger and telecommunication services.
- Coordinates client billing with billing services, as needed.
- Obtains cases from the library and makes copies, as requested.
- Maintains a safe and unobstructed work area, including a neat and well-organized desk. Demonstrates safe work practices.
- Maintains all client files on a daily basis in accordance with standards set by Records Management Center. Maintains other files, as needed.
- Performs a variety of secretarial functions, including transcribing dictation, processing new client/matter and expense reports, preparing notebooks and exhibits, etc.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned or as judgment or necessity dictates.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); five or more years of related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, legal terminology and formats (legal documents).
- Basic understanding of civil litigation processes and forms.
- Types accurately at 60 wpm.
- Thorough understanding of civil litigation discovery and docketing processes.
- Experience with State and Federal court filings, including ECF.
- Experience with training and mentoring support staff.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- In addition to the above, the following may also be required of the successful candidate:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills
- Well developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
- Exercises confidentiality and discretion
- Proofreads accurately
- Able to accurately classify, index, file and retrieve legal documents.
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer