The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for the delivery of safe, quality patient care and services under the direction of Registered Nurse. The LPN is also a member of a designated care team and collaborates with team members in achieving goals. The LPN is cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the Department and the Organization.
- Demonstrates competency in performing treatments and procedures.
- Assists in achieving patient’s respiratory needs: Aerosol and inhalation treatments, encourages coughing and deep breathing
- Performs oral and endotracheal suctioning
- Performs therapeutic procedures and treatments:
- Inserts and removes Foley catheters
- Performs EKGs
- Phlebotomy for blood collection
- Insert IV and maintains line
- Assists patient with and reinforces use of therapeutic equipment (i.e., incentive spirometer, hot and cold packs)
- Performs patient prep
- Prepares & administers medication and observes patients’ response
- Demonstrates knowledge of action, dosage and side effects of medications.
- Demonstrates ability to safely administer any medication allowed by N.Y. State law and in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Obtains and records: Vital Signs, Height and Weight, Head Circumference
- Collects specimens and documents
- Certificate of completion from a practical nurse course of study.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience working within an ambulatory setting preferred.
- Demonstrated clinical, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform venipuncture and administer medications including immunizations.
- Demonstrated basic computer skills including typing.
- Bi-lingual Spanish preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to organize care and activities of multiple patients.
- Current New York State LPN license and registration.
- Current BCLS, Infection Control Child Abuse Certificates required.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action:
The Institute for Family Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. This job summary is intended to be brief and may not list all the duties and functions required, however, it does highlight the essential requirements. Nothing outlined in this job summary is to be construed as an express or implied contract of employment.
Please visit www.Institute.org for more information.