STG International is accepting resumes ofqualified candidates for the LVN/LPN position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.STG Internationalis in anactive bidding process for this positionwhich is contingent upon STG International, Inc. being awarded the contract.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors
comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services.
IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC’s mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to
providing healthcare services to protect the nation’s health, reduce global disease and provide
medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and
removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to
ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous
surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
- Evaluates health care needs of residents and assists RN in the development of nursing care plans to meet those needs.
- Assists with gathering resident data during sick call and medical appointments.
- Obtains medical information on residents using pre-established questionnaire and appropriately refers abnormal findings or responses or stated medical problems to the RN, midlevel provider or physician.
- Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
- Provide patient/resident education as appropriate.
- May coordinate health care needs of residents with healthcare team and referrals to off-site providers as appropriate for facility.
- Assures a safe and clean working environment at all times.
- Participates as member of health care team to ensure that needed equipment, supplies andlogs are available, clean, functional and up to date.
- Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of practice and state licensure.
- These services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest xrays.
- Collect laboratory specimens as requested per IHSC policy and procedures.
- Administers medications and treatments as ordered/recommended in accordance with scope of practice and state licensure.
- Must adhere to practical nursing principals, procedures and techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from registered nurses and onsite administrative personnel.
- Must adhere to medication administration guidelines, understand pharmaceutical agents and their desired effect recognize adverse effects and take appropriate corrective measures.
- Must appropriately document patient/resident encounters according to current standards of care using electronic health records.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational
- Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC’s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, notrequired).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.Department of Education
- Graduate from an approved, accredited Vocational/Practical Nurse program located in aState, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory.
- Must have a minimum of one year experience in a hospital, medical office or outpatientclinical setting.
- Maintains current, active and unrestricted LVN/LPN license by the state in which the dutystation is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American HeartAssociation.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simplediagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if notfluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to developpositive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinaryenvironment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records,web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs,specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patientmedical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full time position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts.Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render aPreliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion ofinitial and subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jogmay be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the buildingduring an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighssignificantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary(exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physicallimitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set forth by the Contractor. Technical
oversight will be provided by the Government Technical Monitor (GTM).
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers acompetitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.