Upbring New Life Children’s Center is a residential treatment center in Canyon Lake, TX for girls ages 11 to 17 who have experienced severe trauma. Our comprehensive treatment program helps these amazingly brave girls reclaim their lives and pursue their dreams
Under the supervision of the Program Director the Lifeguard is responsible for maintaining safe conditions in and around the pool, on the deck and surrounding areas in accordance with Agency and licensing standards and other federal, state and local regulatory requirements associated with pool safety and sanitation.
Position will be May-August 2020.
Upbring is classified as an essential business by the Federal government because the services we provide are critical to the wellbeing of thousands of children and families.
- Ensure the pool, deck, and surrounding areas are safe and free of hazards and risk of injury; demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of all safety, rescue and first aid procedures
- Take responsibility for the pool during assigned shift; remain on guard until relieved by another lifeguard
- Create and promote a safe and welcoming environment in accordance with Agency and licensing standards
- Monitor pool, deck and surrounding areas to prevent accidents
- Respond to any potential emergency situation immediately; use appropriate emergency procedures and provide appropriate care
- Follow and enforce pool and program policies and rules at all times
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of pool, deck, and surrounding areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Build and maintain cooperative working relationships with the Program Director, program staff, program administration, residents, staff and volunteers to ensure the safety and well-being of the residents are given priority and the program goals and objectives are being met; work within the established ethical boundaries at all times
- Work closely with Program Director, program staff and others to ensure program operations, policies, and procedures are executed in a manner that meets the needs of the residents and achieves program goals and objectives
- Work as team player and exhibit professional behavior and a positive attitude with both internal and external clients that reflects positively on the Agency and is consistent with Agency policies and practices
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be 21 years of age or older per licensing requirements
- 6 months’ previous lifeguard experience
- Current CPR/AED certification (CPR for Professional Rescuer)
- Current first aid, oxygen and lifeguard certification
- Ability to swim
- Service-orientated attitude; demonstrated responsibility
- Ability to establish rapport, trust, and boundaries with children; ability to provide excellent customer service
- Strong people and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with diverse groups of people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate policies and rules in a professional manner
- The ability to apply compassion and empathy, while dealing with stressful and difficult situations
- 1 year lifeguard experience
- YMCA, Red Cross, or nationally recognized lifeguard certification
Physical Demands & Work Conditions
- Requires working with a diverse population of youth with varying degrees of behaviors and trauma
- Requires standing for a long period of time
- Lift, push, pull, move up to 125 lbs.
The physical requirements for this position with or without reasonable accommodation are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing this position the employee with or without reasonable accommodation should have the ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, speak, and hear with aid, see, read, reach with arms and hands, lift and/or move up to specified weight, and use equipment that is essential to performing the job, such as a computer, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile, if applicable. Specific vision requirements of this position may include color vision, seeing things close up, and the ability to adjust focus.
The statements herein indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of the job and may request the employee to perform other duties and responsibilities not listed at his/her discretion. This job description is not a contract between the employee occupying the position and the employer. Upbring is an at-will employer. Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status